Can someone help me on this one....

ShireChick

Hatching
Mar 22, 2015
Berkshire County, MA
As bizarre as this sounds.. i think one of my chicks is blind. she stays close to the wall of the brooder and she isn't afraid at all when you pick her up.. in fact i don't think she even knows i'm reaching for her? I got my chicks at TSC so I knew there'd be a chance for misfits.lol She's totally sweet and my favorite by far, but I do think she's blind. She doesn't know when I put my hand in front of her with feed til i tap the tip of her beak in it. has anyone experienced this? My other chicks are crazy daisies.. they are all active and doing normal chick things. She kinda wanders and gets to the food and water but she definitely seems like she doesnt see... :(

wow please keep us posted on her progress. does she sleep with the rest or just plops down where ever. Can she hear yet? It may be her only saving grace to keep up with the flock.

I've read lots of stories of blind chicks/ grown birds that are blind and they can learn to be very independent. The thing to remember is to keep food and water in the same place, so eventually they know where it is. Also keep an eye out that the others don't start bullying her. The other thing is to be sure she if safe from predators because they wouldn't see them coming. No free ranging for her. Sometimes another chick will befriend a blind chick and they form close attachments. The sighted chick seems to know the buddy needs some assistance.

Actually she would probably make a great house chicken. My friend has 5 house chickens , 3 silkies and 2 seramas . There is a very popular thread "people with house chickens."
The same thing would apply in the house, keeping things in the same place, and giving her some secure area to call her own.

she hears fine, she lays with them... but she really sticks to the side of the brooder.... i will put my arm in and call to her and she'll follow my voice and sit on my hand.... ive taken her out and held her and she chirps her brains out when i put her back in . once i put my hand in she's good again :( so i'm concerned about her .. the others aren't mean to her though.. Someone said she's a buff orp. her pic is the tan one in my first post. She is the sweetest one of the bunch...lol

i would keep her in the house in a second. I don't see my hubs letting me though. LOL o Our Jack Russell would terrorize her... I keep everything the same. I may just have to keep her in the house. She's so darn cute. lol

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!
woot.gif

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

Back
Top Bottom