Can someone help me think?

Sounds to me like you really want to be a lawyer, being a Vet is not all about saving a life, sometimes it is absolutely necessary to end a life and give peace..... if it bothers you now it will bother you even more if you have to do it....... follow your heart and not someone elses...... every job has it's bad side.....the decision is yours its your life and you have to live with it what ever the outcome......

Not to discourage, but there are tons of people that say they want to be a vet and end up realizing that there's just no way. There's a lot of blood, a lot of dedication, and a lot of heartache that comes with veterinary work. Getting an internship would be a great idea to test and see if you like it. But keep in mind that as an intern they'll likely make you do all the grunt work, cleaning poo, taking appointments, etc (not the fun stuff). Give it a shot and see if you like it.

The beauty of law school is that you can get a bachelor's in anything you want to. For Vet school, you need to be in Biology or Bio-Chem (essentially pre-med). This allows you to spend 3 years deciding between law school and vet school (the 4th year you need you'll be sending off grad applications and enjoying the exciting "wait for a response" from the schools.

or you could be a lawyer for animal-related issues?

work at a shelter first, try everything, travel, dont let anyone tell you know...and you'll change your mind about a million times. which is fine.
whatever you do - dont feel like you have to lock yourself in - especially now. head in the direction you are called - you'll find the way.

i dumped my big deal software career to farm - who woulda guessed.

The best way to find out more about any career is to do an internship. If you have that offered go for it. Also, the more interesting stuff you have to add to your college applications and later on a resume, the better your chances of being noticed. One opportunity will lead you to another and you will naturally find the right path for yourself.

It's good to take advice/input from a range of sources, then use it to make your own decision. After all you are the one that has to live with it.

Most of all see this exploration as an adventure and enjoy it!

There are many lawyers and law school grads right now unemployed, so I wouldn't consider that path based solely on money. Rosalind is right, there are few vet schools in the country and getting into them is very tough (we have one of the few here at OSU). So you will want to make sure it's what you want before entering into a program.

There are so many options in life, each one requiring a different educational path. Sometimes you go in with one thing in mind and end up in a totally different place. A man I know is the custodian of the local theater (the kind for plays, not movies) and is also a playwright. He has found that it suits him to do something that just pays the bills during the day and leaves his creative juices for his own work. He'll never get rich, but he is very happy and fulfilled. He has no children, is single and doesn't need much to get by. Another friend of mine has a PHD, is a music professor and barely scrapes by but has a child so she finds the financial constraints very stressful. What's right for one isn't right for all, you need to do what's right for you.

Be careful to not incur college debt with no purpose, there are lots of new grads (many with general liberal arts degrees) drowning in student loans unable secure jobs right now. They are shocked when their degree doesn't mean what they thought it would.

I was told the same thing when I was young "You should be a vet!" Just because I love animals. I have worked with animals all my life. Worked as a vet tech. for a long time and I have to admit there were times I was glad I was not the vet. Working with a vet, First of all the money is limited You have the Dr. prefix but, no where near the money. You will also have to come to terms with the word EUTHANASIA its part of it... You will also see how many people really should not have animals. Some very sad stories. I did it because I wanted the experience, I got to know drugs ect.. I have enough knowledge to take care of my animals(in case NAIS happens) Alot of it is selling routine stuff. I have learned to beat the system exspecially with the heartworms another money making racket. Vaccines are now over kill Look up VACCINOSIS. The routine vaccines are not necessary as first thought. Now i guess they will make there money micro-chipping. You still have time to decide whats best for you. Get a summer job at a clinic. Sometimes it can be pretty heart wrenching.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom