Can someone help?

Mrs Duck Lover

Hatching
Apr 21, 2017
I'm a first time duck owner and bought my ducklings last week! My baby duck's where all fine even up until last night when we put them up. This morning when I woke up I found that one of my ducklings couldn't walk when I picked him up one of his foot was folded together. Is this something that can be fixed or should I take him to a vet? Someone please help I don't want to loose him!
[/IMG]
1f62d.png

I'm a first time duck owner and bought my ducklings last week! My baby duck's where all fine even up until last night when we put them up. This morning when I woke up I found that one of my ducklings couldn't walk when I picked him up one of his foot was folded together. Is this something that can be fixed or should I take him to a vet? Someone please help I don't want to loose him!
[/IMG]
1f62d.png
Try sprinkling some brewers yeast on its food. Ducklings grow fast and sometimes need the extra health support. Possibly a niacin deficiency as well.

A good duck vet, if possible, is best.

It could be a niacin or b vitamin deficiency.

Here is a writeup I did a while ago about that.

You have some options.

Brewer's yeast. Forgive me for using capital letters, but for anyone else who may casually look over this thread, NOT baking yeast, NOT winemaking yeast. Brewer's yeast is a nutritional supplement and it provides niacin and a few other vitamins.

Generally, folks who supplement with brewer’s yeast use a tablespoon per cup of food.

Ducklings need about three times the niacin chicks do. And some ducklings get leg problems or seizures if they don't have enough niacin.

If you cannot find the brewer's yeast, or if you happen to have (here come the capital letters again, please forgive me) PLAIN niacin - NOT no-flush, NOT timed release, then dissolve 150 mg niacin per gallon of water for the duckling’s drinking water.

Another approach is to use B Complex capsules, and use the B3 - niacin - levels as a guide. Again, 150 mg B3 per gallon of drinking water.

Keep the little one on the supplements for about 8 weeks.

Sometimes it only takes a few days to see improvement.

You can also see how it went for Qwackers and Bentley from these threads.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/857143/treating-wry-neck-in-crested-duckling-edited-title

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help

Back
Top Bottom