Can someone ID me?

AshleyKirky

Chirping
Jul 14, 2021
I have two olive egger pullets, and one has started laying but I was curious if anyone could ID the breeds that make her up? Their personality has always been sassy and their legs are green tinted. I could possibly get a better photo and I’m not sure if this is the right folder to ask in…

Attachments

• 9F793FB8-0D28-4A53-8AD2-3CE7A9ADFC94.jpeg
    9F793FB8-0D28-4A53-8AD2-3CE7A9ADFC94.jpeg
    698.2 KB · Views: 5
Olive Eggers are created using many breeds. The term is also used rather loosely now whereas previously it was always a dark brown egg layer crossed with a true blue egg layer.
This has changed over the past few years.
Originally, black copper Marans or Welsummer were used for the brown egg layer parent and either Crested cream leg bar or purebred Ameraucana were used as the blue egg layer parent.
Your bird does not appear to be either one of these crosses though does appear to have either Easter Egger or Ameraucana in her based on what I can see.
Here is an example of the classic BCM/Ameraucana cross and a Welsummer/CCL cross.
😊
33375CE2-2263-4D56-9B62-94130020E4DA.jpeg
85B92789-73FC-4E28-98E2-ED3315DF0ACF.jpeg

Most of the chickens in the backyards here in Panama are what the U.S. would call "Easter Eggers". They're a hearty bird that does well in the heat, has good common sense (knows what is dangerous and how to avoid it), eats pretty much anything (and the poorer families manage to raise a couple dozen birds on free range and table scraps) and tends to have a solid broody streak to replenish their numbers without the need of an incubator or a 'tractor supply' to buy more.
Here, these mixed birds are called 'patio' or 'barnyard' chickens. I've had these mixes lay everything from white, pink, all shades of brown from sand to almost hot-cocoa, and green eggs. In my dozen years of chickens, I've not seen a blue chicken egg. Leg color has ranged from white, pale and dark yellow, green and black, some with feathers (pants as I like to call it) and some without (naked). Toe count also varies. The coloring of their plumage also varies wildly from stark white to midnight black and nearly anything you can imagine in between. Some of my birds haven't any plumage on their heads and/or necks (I call them turkens or naked-necks), some do.
Egg size ranges from small to 'how in the world did you manage to get that out!'. Dressed weight ranges from 3 to 8 pounds between the ages of 6 to 8 months, depending upon gender and their genetics.
The closest truthful answer that anyone can tell you about your bird's ancestry would be to tell you it's a barnyard mix.
If you intend to allow her to brood chicks, select the chicks that you like the qualities of (egg size, color, weight, etc.), and allow those chicks to propogate your future generations to get a bird that's right for your needs.

Back
Top Bottom