Can someone ID this guy for me?

PeepsCA

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 28, 2011
BFE, CA
Just curious what he is, since he looks so different from my IB boy.

He and 10 or so of his buddies have been hanging around schmoozing with my breeding flock and flock of yearlings (they want my Hens, and scream about it all night long from the tree tops!!!). No idea where the flock of loose Peas came from but I am not at all thrilled about someone else's birds spending so much face to face time with my healthy, disease free and parasite free Peas !!!
somad.gif

Just curious what he is, since he looks so different from my IB boy.

He and 10 or so of his buddies have been hanging around schmoozing with my breeding flock and flock of yearlings (they want my Hens, and scream about it all night long from the tree tops!!!). No idea where the flock of loose Peas came from but I am not at all thrilled about someone else's birds spending so much face to face time with my healthy, disease free and parasite free Peas !!!
somad.gif

He's a spalding for sure, beyond that I cannot tell you much.

I agree he is definately a Spalding because of the yellow face, tight crest, and because half of his wing is blue black. spaldings often have more of the blue black wing on them than India Blues.

Someday maybe some peafowl will come visit me, although that is lame that they call a bunch. Him and his bros might have come from a situation where older peacocks had already taken all the peahens and they went in search for their own ladies.

Well if the owners don't hurry up and get them penned them up... and I catch him or any of the others, they won't get them back!
This loose flock had to come from a LONG ways away, unless someone new just moved to this area and just recently let them loose. I rarely ever hear any Peas faintly calling, and it's only when the wind blows the sound this direction. My Peacock had been relatively quiet until these guys showed up, now he's calling a lot. I blame the loose Peas.

This Spalding does have a nice tight crest, and the yellow on his face is more of an orange color, rather than yellow.

I agree, spalding for sure, but I say pen em up! I'm fine with those that free range, but one needs to make sure that their livestock/pets are their responsibility, and if they irritate the neighbourhood with with frequent off farm visits, beware, your rights may just go out the window. That being said, I was always under the impression that there were feral flocks of peafowl in CA, is this not true?

I agree, spalding for sure, but I say pen em up! I'm fine with those that free range, but one needs to make sure that their livestock/pets are their responsibility, and if they irritate the neighborhood with with frequent off farm visits, beware, your rights may just go out the window. That being said, I was always under the impression that there were feral flocks of peafowl in CA, is this not true?
There's a flock of 40 in my neighborhood according to a TSC employee that lives nearby.

-Kathy

Well if the owners don't hurry up and get them penned them up... and I catch him or any of the others, they won't get them back!
This loose flock had to come from a LONG ways away, unless someone new just moved to this area and just recently let them loose. I rarely ever hear any Peas faintly calling, and it's only when the wind blows the sound this direction. My Peacock had been relatively quiet until these guys showed up, now he's calling a lot. I blame the loose Peas.

This Spalding does have a nice tight crest, and the yellow on his face is more of an orange color, rather than yellow.

He's very handsome and I would try to catch him, then try to locate his owner.

-Kathy

I understand the more they are in the sun the darker that yellow patch will get, I've seen quite a few pictures in which it looked very orange even on white spaldings.
I agree, spalding for sure, but I say pen em up! I'm fine with those that free range, but one needs to make sure that their livestock/pets are their responsibility, and if they irritate the neighbourhood with with frequent off farm visits, beware, your rights may just go out the window. That being said, I was always under the impression that there were feral flocks of peafowl in CA, is this not true?
I had also heard feral peafowl were a problem in CA, some article about them eating native quail eggs and chicks.
old.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom