Can someone please help identify what's wrong with my tomatoes? Please help! (Picture attached)

Honestly, there could be a couple things that cause this problem.
Cool temperatures, nutritional deficiencies and over watering.

What temperature are you running in your grow area?
What soil are you using?
How wet is the soil?
How often do you water?
Have you fertilized?
What did you fertilize with?

I understand the feeling about failing them. You will learn and succeed. My guy does our indoor garden and our issue is he starts SO much! Maybe add a fan. Circulating air in there could be something they want. And also, is it too warm in there? I hope you get to the bottom of things. Good luck, keep us updated.
That's a nice setup!
They seem to be perking up a bit after adding the fertilizer, but they are still looking droopy and sad, so we'll see :fl

Honestly, there could be a couple things that cause this problem.
Cool temperatures, nutritional deficiencies and over watering.

What temperature are you running in your grow area?
What soil are you using?
How wet is the soil?
How often do you water?
Have you fertilized?
What did you fertilize with?
I though it could be the temperature being too cold, but when I transplanted some of them into bigger pots, the soil was warm to the touch.
I only water when the soil dries out a lot, so I'm not overwatering. I added some E.B. Stone Tomato and Vegetable food a few days ago, and it may be working, but it's hard to say at this point.

I though it could be the temperature being too cold, but when I transplanted some of them into bigger pots, the soil was warm to the touch.
I only water when the soil dries out a lot, so I'm not overwatering. I added some E.B. Stone Tomato and Vegetable food a few days ago, and it may be working, but it's hard to say at this point.
Are you bottom watering?
What soil are you using?

Are you bottom watering?
What soil are you using?
I don't consistently water from the bottom? Are there actually noticeable benefits from your experience? Is it just to prevent overwatering?
I mixed up some peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite, which I was using to start seeds, and I just added a handful of worm castings to the older plants when I transplanted them. Now I'm worried the soil may be too acidic, but I don't have a way to test that.

I don't consistently water from the bottom? Are there actually noticeable benefits from your experience? Is it just to prevent overwatering?
I mixed up some peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite, which I was using to start seeds, and I just added a handful of worm castings to the older plants when I transplanted them. Now I'm worried the soil may be too acidic, but I don't have a way to test that.
From my experience, you should only bottom water as seedlings.
Once the seedlings get their true leaves and become young plants, they should be top watered. Top watering flushes out any unused nutrients and salts out of the soil.

Since your use a mix that contains two ingredients that tend to hold a lot of water (peat and vermiculite) I still tend to lean to over watering.
One of the problems with over watering is that it causes a condition known as Nutritional Lockup where plants cannot take up and use nutrients.

Now a problems with bottom watering is the soil at the bottom of the pot can be extremely wet but the soil at the top of the pot is dry so when you think your plants need watering, I would lift the pots up and see if it is light or heavy if the pot feels light in weight, then it's time to water and if it is heavy you don't water.
When you do water, I would recommend that you top water just until water comes out the drain wholes at the bottom of the pot (don't let water sit in trays under the pots).

As another recommendation, I wouldn't use a dry fertilizer while the young plants are still in pots, a better option would be a liquid fertilizer.

Be careful fertilizing as they are still young and you risk burning them. I like starting my seeds in a seed starter mix (as someone said above, peat and vermiculite hold a lot of water). I dont bottom water seedlings but instead use a squirt bottle and mist them at the base. Seed starter mixes have the nutrients they need to get started and grow. After mine are a good 1-2 inches tall- I repot them in a larger container using a garden soil or raised bed soil. They double in size in a week. Tomatoes are easy but also finicky....they really like calcium and nitrogen. Save your eggs shells and grind them up and plant it with the tomatoes when you move to them to the garden. I also leave cups out to collect rain water as its higher in nitrogen than tap or well water and water my seedlings with that once they are bigger.
I have a moisture meter I bought off amazon for really cheap to know when to water my plants- usually about every 2 days while they are still in their pots and under my lights (LED shop lights) I water them at night when the lights are off so I don't burn them. I would try repotting them with a different soil mixture containing composted manure which is high in phosphorus. They should start to get better.

(I know about theeasygarden, but I can't figure out how to make a post and I am desperate right now!)

This is my first time doing this, but I started a ton of different types of tomatoes inside with grow lights. They have been doing very well, but I just checked on them and I swear they all suddenly turned purple and yellow! They all seemed fine earlier. Also, they are not all the same age, but even the ones that are different ages are still changing color. Two stems even fell off.

I looked it up, and it seems like a nutrient deficiency in the soil can cause this, which wouldn't surprise me. Right now, they are all growing in a mix of peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite, with some worm castings added for nutrients. Are worm castings not enough, even at this stage? Could it possibly be a disease?

I have put hours and hours into my garden and I am terrified that I am going to lose all of it! Anyone who can help, thank you so much!

Be careful fertilizing as they are still young and you risk burning them. I like starting my seeds in a seed starter mix (as someone said above, peat and vermiculite hold a lot of water). I dont bottom water seedlings but instead use a squirt bottle and mist them at the base. Seed starter mixes have the nutrients they need to get started and grow. After mine are a good 1-2 inches tall- I repot them in a larger container using a garden soil or raised bed soil. They double in size in a week. Tomatoes are easy but also finicky....they really like calcium and nitrogen. Save your eggs shells and grind them up and plant it with the tomatoes when you move to them to the garden. I also leave cups out to collect rain water as its higher in nitrogen than tap or well water and water my seedlings with that once they are bigger.
I have a moisture meter I bought off amazon for really cheap to know when to water my plants- usually about every 2 days while they are still in their pots and under my lights (LED shop lights) I water them at night when the lights are off so I don't burn them. I would try repotting them with a different soil mixture containing composted manure which is high in phosphorus. They should start to get better.

Back
Top Bottom