Can someone please help me identify the breed? I'm still new at this

senorita05

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 29, 2013
Hello everybody :)

I have a few questions. I'm still very new at this, even though I have had them for about 5-6 months. Firstly I need help identifying the breeds of my chicken (her name is Murgi) and rooster(His name is Zuzu). I only have 2, but I'm hoping that soon the family will expand more :) From looking at different pictures and trawling through pages and pages on the forums, I think my rooster is an amber sex link and my hen might be a black sex link. I would deeply appreciate if somebody could confirm or identify them for me. I have attached some photos from when they were smaller to now, to make identification easier.
Secondly could someone also tell me what the breeding habits of my chicken and rooster are? Because I'm certain they are about 6-7 months old but I haven't seen any eggs. And from what I have read, this is when they should be laying eggs. I have checked everywhere. The rooster tries to get on top of the chicken, but she just runs away. I'm assuming she is not ready, so how long approximately do I have to wait? I'm actually really excited to hatch eggs and have more baby chicks to play with, because watching and taking care of the two is a delightful experience and one I would like to relive :) Thank you.

I would agree with your opinion on the breed types. We have raised both types. The lack of eggs is strange. Perhaps she has a hiding spot?

I literally went outside and looked all over my backyard again and checked her coop. I had another person help me look as well. Still nothing. I have noticed that lately (last 2 weeks) she has been burrowing in the dirt a bit more and always sits under this one tree. Could this be a sign she is looking for a spot to lay her eggs? However it has been really hot here as of late, so I just assumed that she was sitting there to stay cool. And usually when she sits under the tree its not her by herself, Zuzu joins her. So it made sense for both of them to sit under the tree to stay cool.

welcome-byc.gif

You're correct on your breeds. Good research!

I don't think those birds are that old. I'd place them both around 5 months, actually I think that rooster is younger, but you say you've owned him that long. My 7 month roosters are much more developed. The pullet doesn't look ready to lay yet. Black sex links often don't have a ton of comb, but it needs to get plumper and redder. Average time for a bird to start laying is around 6 months, so I'd just give it some more time. You can always confine her for a few days and see if she lays. You'd be amazed at the places they can find to hide a nest!

Thank you Donrae.
Yeah I was thinking about her comb and how it is not very red. It is still a pinkish reddish hue. And from what I have seen on roosters, I do think Zuzu's comb and wattle need to be more red. Haha whenever I put Murgi in the coop, she starts crowing and letting me know she doesn't want to be in there. Also if I let Zuzu out but kept Murgi in the coop, he would not stray too far. If I pick up one the other one follows and calls out for the other. So I don't think I can bear the thought of separating them.

You are correct on breeds. I also thought they looked younger, but they must just be maturing slower. Your black sex link doesn't look ready to lay yet. When her comb gets a little bigger and redder, start watching for eggs. And the are both chickens.
wink.png

The rooster is a red sex link male. He is not 7 months old. By this age he would be fully grown with a set of sickle feathersetc. The hen is a hatchery quality black copper marans and judging by the small size of her comb and the fact that her legs are close together tells me she is not in lay as she is too young.

I agree with donrae, they are not as old as you think. That being said, the hen is not that far away from starting to lay. You may need more hens so that he does not wear her out.

I may need more hens so he doesn't wear her out?
I thought that because they grew up together, that they will be okay together. Plus Zuzu is really friendly and Murgi is more reserved but friendly once she gets to know you. The pair are inseparable. Is this something I should genuinely be concerned about? And if I do get more hens, will the other hens cause any issues with Murgi because they didn't grow up together?

Back
Top Bottom