Can someone please help me identify the breed? I'm still new at this

Wear her out= mate her too much. Which can can cause bald spots on their backs. When hormones kick in, she will begin to get a bare back. You need more than one hen, period. Raising them together has absolutley ha nothing to do with this. It is possible that they could of grew up to hate each other and never gotten along, but this case it was the opposite. Chickens have a pecking order. You don't really see this now, because you just have a pair. When you get more then will have a few scuffles to arrange a pecking order, it can't be avoided.

I would select breeds that are know to do well in your climate. Don't get a cold tolerant bird if you live in the deep south. They will have a miserable time (and low productivity) in the summer. Other than that, pick breeds you like and lay the color egg you want.

You should have about 8-10 hens per rooster unless you plan on breeding then 5-6 is best. As for the breed just make sure they are LF and not bantam. A LF rooster could hurt or even kill a bantam trying to breed.
8- 10 is far too many . Depending on the breed heavy fowl should have 4-5 hens and light fowl and bantams 5-8. At the moment my roos have 4 each

8- 10 is far too many . Depending on the breed heavy fowl should have 4-5 hens and light fowl and bantams 5-8. At the moment my roos have 4 each
Ha ha I guess someone should tell my EE roo that is isn't possible for him to fertilize almost 30 hens.

Senorita05, you can add as many hens as you want but I would suggest at least another 3 girls so he's not giving them bald patches.

30 hens? no way. The reason I said that is not ecause of fertilisation but 1 rooster can only protect and feed that many usually. Smaller chucks are more active and so can watch over more hens. 1 of my roos fertilises about 22 hens but 30 is crazy.

Back
Top Bottom