Can someone please help me? some blood in pictures

poultry09

Songster
8 Years
Dec 1, 2011
Rainier, Oregon
My white sebastopl gander started bleeding earlyer today (about 2 1/2 hours ago) he is not gushing blood just a little blood, might not seem urgent but I wnat to know if thier is anything I can do to help it heal faster, I have him in his own area on the back porch of our log house and just walks the fence back&forth.

Here is some photos of him, at first I thought he was bleeding from his wing but after I took a real close look and he is bleeding from his beak and the bloody spots on his back is where he preens him self.

This is a part of his beak that is torn, I dont know what happen.

Will he be fine if I just leave it alone? or should I put something on his beak? can I let him back out with the rest of the flock or should I leave him in by him self? any advice would be greatly apreciated

Last edited:
I had something similar happen to my Pekin drake a couple years ago. I just separated him from my other birds and kept him quiet and made sure his beak stayed clean. It healed on its own and he was fine.

Good Luck!

You could clean it off with some betadine or a solution of iodine if you have either. Water would work fine. You could put some neosprin on it, but I don't think the outside of the bill is too suseptable to infection. I wonder what caused the cut. Is there mating season aggression going on? Do you need to separate any animals from one another? Does he have a mate who will miss him? Or did he just nibble on something he should not have nibbled?

Last edited:
You could clean it off with some betadine or a solution of iodine if you have either. Water would work fine. You could put some neosprin on it, but I don't think the outside of the bill is too suseptable to infection. I wonder what caused the cut. Is there mating season aggression going on? Do you need to separate any animals from one another? Or did he just nibble on something he should not have nibbled?
Ok thanks, he is in with a group of geese that are raising a little 4 week old gosling, the only aggresion is my grey sebbie gander keeping my buff african gander away from the sebbie flock, I think he just got into something he should not have been in.

I had something similar happen to my Pekin drake a couple years ago. I just separated him from my other birds and kept him quiet and made sure his beak stayed clean. It healed on its own and he was fine.

Good Luck!
Thanks Ruralmama, how long did it take for his beak to heal?

It looks like he got his beak stuck in something, then pulled it out which caused the injury. Can you rinse it off and put something on it? It doesn't look like it's bleeding a lot, so you may not need something to stop the bleeding. If you had Blu-Kote, that would be good as it is antibacterial, or neosporin. You just want to make sure not to use any antibacterial ointment that has any type of painkiller in it, like lidocaine, or anything ending with "caine". My vet once gave me silvadene cream to put on the beak of an injured bird. It's good to have a stash of ointments for occasions like these.

Thanks Ruralmama, how long did it take for his beak to heal?

Honestly, I don't remember but it wasn't very long at all. I was surprised at how quick it was and after ti healed you couldn't even tell... but it wasn't very deep to start with, it was just like he scraped off a layer or two, enough to make it bleed. I didn't put anything on it and it healed fine, I just watched to make sure it didn't get infected or anything serious.

It looks like he got his beak stuck in something, then pulled it out which caused the injury. Can you rinse it off and put something on it? It doesn't look like it's bleeding a lot, so you may not need something to stop the bleeding. If you had Blu-Kote, that would be good as it is antibacterial, or neosporin. You just want to make sure not to use any antibacterial ointment that has any type of painkiller in it, like lidocaine, or anything ending with "caine". My vet once gave me silvadene cream to put on the beak of an injured bird. It's good to have a stash of ointments for occasions like these.
I put a cake pan in with him that is about 4in deep, no its not bleeding much but I didnt want to chance anything and have him get an infection, I will remember the painkiller and the "caine" thing, and I agree it is alwase good to have a variety of ointments on hand. I will go and search for some neosporin, what about bagbalm? will that do anything

i'm not familiar with bag balm but don't think it's an antibacterial ointment. Neosporin would be better, or you can dab it with some iodine. It might heal on it's own without anything, but couldn't hurt to treat it, if you can. One of my chickens cracked a layer off the top of her beak, and i used the silvadene cream. It healed pretty quickly, like within a week.

i'm not familiar with bag balm but don't think it's an antibacterial ointment. Neosporin would be better, or you can dab it with some iodine. It might heal on it's own without anything, but couldn't hurt to treat it, if you can. One of my chickens cracked a layer off the top of her beak, and i used the silvadene cream. It healed pretty quickly, like within a week.
ok thanks for your help every one!

Back
Top Bottom