Can someone possibly tell me whats wrong with my chicks?

Thatwyrmkeruku

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2023
image.jpg
hi! So i got two chicks yesterday from people who said the mother was killing them. But im really worried. One is much more active than the other but they both sleep a lot. Their primary feathers are way longer than they should be at 4 weeks, and im scared their sick. I managed to get them both to eat, but the one in the picture, aka axel, is barely active. She just sleeps and stays curled up all day and this morning she had NO body heat whatsoever while the other was for the most part fine. She seems sick but shes been eating and drinking with encouragement. I am using a poultry feed that is high in vitamins and supplements but she still wont bounce back up, often hiding in her wings. Shes gentle and quiet too, only chirping if i startle her. But even then it is a weak few chirps before she is silent again. She’s survived freezing but i dont think she can survive another night. I have a heater, but she always moves away from it like its too hot even when it is not that close to her. Does anyone know what might be going on?

Welcome To BYC

Has she pooped? Can you get a photo of that?

What are you feeding - is it chick starter?

I'd keep her relatively warm - around 75 F would be good, but if she moves away from heat, then she's too warm, so don't force her to be near it, she needs enough room to get to a cool spot.

Work on hydration first. You can give electrolytes or warmed sugar water. Then see if she'll eat some mushy chick starter.

Her stance and the way she looks, she's not in very good shape. Coccidiosis comes to mind, if you have Corid on hand, then give her 0.1ml per pound of weight direct dose and put 2tsp liquid Corid to 1 gallon of water for the chicks to drink.

She also has a bit of a bald spot on the head. Is that from the hen being rough with the chicks? She may have suffered some trauma that she may not be able to recover from, but hopefully she'll pull through.

Welcome To BYC

Has she pooped? Can you get a photo of that?

What are you feeding - is it chick starter?

I'd keep her relatively warm - around 75 F would be good, but if she moves away from heat, then she's too warm, so don't force her to be near it, she needs enough room to get to a cool spot.

Work on hydration first. You can give electrolytes or warmed sugar water. Then see if she'll eat some mushy chick starter.

Her stance and the way she looks, she's not in very good shape. Coccidiosis comes to mind, if you have Corid on hand, then give her 0.1ml per pound of weight direct dose and put 2tsp liquid Corid to 1 gallon of water for the chicks to drink.

She also has a bit of a bald spot on the head. Is that from the hen being rough with the chicks? She may have suffered some trauma that she may not be able to recover from, but hopefully she'll pull through.
Yes! Her poops are solid and the bald spot was assumably from the hen. The starter i am using is purina chick starter. She has gotten water and eaten which i am happy about. Her sibling expresso is helping a lot with showing her how to eat. She flinches when her sib goes near her head, so i think your right about the trauma. Ive given her sugar water as that was something a friend had suggested and she got a little more active for a bit.

Yes! Her poops are solid and the bald spot was assumably from the hen. The starter i am using is purina chick starter. She has gotten water and eaten which i am happy about. Her sibling expresso is helping a lot with showing her how to eat. She flinches when her sib goes near her head, so i think your right about the trauma. Ive given her sugar water as that was something a friend had suggested and she got a little more active for a bit.
Heres a photo of a poop

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 10
Poop looks pretty good to me.

Sounds more like she's just been traumatized and could be suffering from a little shock.
Keep working on her eating/drinking. Provide a warm space, but see that she's not getting too hot.
Her sibling eating/drinking and her showing interest is a good thing.

I think I'd hold off on the Corid that I suggested earlier, it's always a good idea to have some on hand, but I'd consider getting vitamins into her if you have those.

Poop looks pretty good to me.

Sounds more like she's just been traumatized and could be suffering from a little shock.
Keep working on her eating/drinking. Provide a warm space, but see that she's not getting too hot.
Her sibling eating/drinking and her showing interest is a good thing.

I think I'd hold off on the Corid that I suggested earlier, it's always a good idea to have some on hand, but I'd consider getting vitamins into her if you have those.
You dont realize how much of a help this is for me. Ill update you how things turn out with her!

Back
Top Bottom