Can someone teach me some stuff about these breeds please?

lil_chick_chick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
IM A NEW CHICKEN OWNER, I HAVE 24 BABY C H ICKS (1 died today) but i have barred rocks, cinnamon queens, red sex links and austrlorps...can anyone give me some info about these breeds? any thing will do, im just wanting to learn as much as i can about them, like when they lay, how fast they will grow, and when they will get their feathers (the red sex links are already getting feathers), but anyways, just anything really, i dont know much about them yet except that their all brown e g g layers and we were told the cinnamon queens will lay earlier than most chickens, so anyone know much about these breeds, im wanting to learn everything i can......Thank You for any help!!
wee.gif

you have a bunch of really great e.gg layers there! barred rocks get pretty big, they are a great dual purpose bird. they lay alot of e.ggs but i only raise mine to eat. red sex links have a really great temperment, at least from my expirience. they are one of my mom's favorites but i've never had one go broody... you have some very efficient egg layers though! you chose well!

Last edited:
My best advice would be to go to the hatchery lists in the stickies thread at the top of this forum and read up on the breeds in their breed descriptions.

There are also some awesome sights just for fanciers. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly with links, but feathersite and the henderson chart come immediately to my mind, but unfortunately I dont' have links.
sad.png

We have the black australorp. They lay large to XL cream colored eggs. They're calm and do great in the winter. Our 3 started laying around 20 weeks. We got them because they're great layers and calmer birds. Altough I do have one that is a spaz! Good luck on your new adventure!!

Sonja

I only have Black Australorps also called Aussies or BAs on here. I love them. I started out with two, got 5 more and then another one.

They are large girls, excellent layers, friendly, funny and I just cannot say enough about them. They handle the winters well and are a very hardy breed. They grew fast.

From what I know fo the barred rocks or BRs, they are great layers, friendly and hardy girls too.

The cinnamon queens are a hybrid built for laying. They will lay excellent but that is about all I can tell you. I have golden buffs which are also a hybrid and my first one laid at 14 weeks old so they go early. They are prone to burning out earlier because they lay so soon and so well.

This is my Molly at 7 weeks old

Molly.jpg

This is her at 15 1/2 weeks

HPIM3135Small.jpg

Last edited:
jumpy.gif
I hatched out 2 BA's and they are about 14 weeks. They are so sweet and come right up to me. I dn't know about laying yet but hopefully I will in early summer.

Good luck with your birds and enjoy !
thumbsup.gif

do you have a barred rock roo? ours is one of the best i have seen as far as dispostion go's. he dont hurt the hens, lets my 2 year old hold him, etc. the barred hens seem to be affectionate, we raised ours, got them from ideal hatchery , were pleased,

Back
Top Bottom