Can Someone tell me how to use DE

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by barngem, Jun 19, 2009.

1. barngem

barngem Songster

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    I read the bag and it says dont breath it dont do this and that.
    I wanted to put it out in a pan for my chickens to dust in
    Will that be ok will it cause problems if they breath it? I am pretty confused since I know food grade is used in deworming and in feed, I also know that it is good to eliminate flies and lice ect
    I wondered about spreading it in the horse manure pile to eliminate bugs and maybe in the horse pasture in the manure areas. Any thoughts ???
    The other thing is I purchased at the feed store and I asked for Food Grade she said it was but I dont find anything on the bag that says food Grade. Any thoughts.

2. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. barngem

barngem Songster

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    Thank You
    that is what I though.
    She tried to tell me it was and she has a BS in Agriclulture she should know the difference.

When I get the right stuff can I use it in a tub for them to dust in or should I just spread it in the pen
    I do not have any fly or lice problem that I know but I want to be preventative. I have horses in the barn next to the coop and I dont want anyone gettin bugs:D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  4. I just stir some in the dirt where they dust bath, alone with nests, food roosts, hay on floor of coop, almost everywhere Just make sure it says FOOD GRADE marrie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: