Can someone tell me please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tamsflock, Apr 26, 2009.

1. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    Say a chicken or duck that is broody pulls the other birds eggs in everynight. Can I pull them out in the morning and give them to someone else to incubate like 6 days later or has the incubation process already started? The eggs would all hatch day after day then wouldn't they?

2. You may need to seperate the broody so they can't steal more eggs!
    I mean how would you know which eggs were just laid that morning from ones she's been sitting on for days?

3. Robertthe Roo

Robertthe Roo Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    North Carolina
    You could mark with a pencil the eggs she is sitting on and then you would know when new ones are added. The new ones would not be marked and could be removed.

Robert

4. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    I have them marked but they are all in the same pen. I know which ones are new. I just know she has been sitting on them over night 10-12 hours until I get in the next day.So my question is can I take a egg that has been set on for 12 hours then ship it to someone? Or do I need to seperate the broody and hope the other continues to lay when she and he are seperated?

5. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:I went thru that the first broody round back in March.. Turned out not the best..

What I have done this time (which was last week) when one of those hens went broody again. I just blocked that side of the Pen and house from all the other fowl. (turkey and chicken)

I got this other hen that wanted to set with her as last time.. But I removed her so the other hen and her won't be trying to be boss over the nest.

Since I removed her she has decided to not be broody..

6. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    So then if I take the one away maybe the original wont want to set then she would leave the eggs??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by