1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can someone tell me what color this bird is

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by elijahboy, Sep 5, 2009.

  1. elijahboy

    elijahboy Chillin' With My Peeps

    336
    0
    119
    Jul 29, 2009
    goose creek sc
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. blackdotte

    blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

    786
    12
    131
    Nov 18, 2008
    It is Blue, not Lavender. Mating Blue to Lavender will give 50% each Blue & Black, both of which will carry Lavender. These Blues mated together will give Blacks,Blues,Splashs & Lavenders approx 25% of each. The Black to Black will give 75% Black & 25% Lavender,
    David
     
  3. danielle82

    danielle82 A Good Egg

    Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    I believe the third picture is the splash
     
  4. Sonoran Silkies

    Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

    20,149
    283
    401
    Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Also, the gene for blue is separate from the one fr=or lavender. Blue is incompletely dominant; lavender is recessive. For a bird to dosplay lavender, it must inherit the lav gene from each parent,
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by