can someone tell me what im doing wrong?

teresa42299

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2013
for a few different sets of eggs we have been hatching, none seems to be hatching that much. for the first few sets (we call them batches) we got alot to hatch. now none is hatching and if we do get some the chick dies in a few days. we are on day 22 on a batch and there is no movement,chirping or piping. what am i doing wrong? (sorry for lower caps)

There are a lot of things that could go wrong. From bacteria to unsteady temps and humidity, egg age and breeding stock health. We need more info to try and help.

Where do you get the eggs and how old are they when you set them? What type of incubator are you using? What's your temp and humidity been at? Have you been thoroughly disinfecting it between hatches?

welcome-byc.gif
It is very important to sanitize the incubator between hatches - make sure it is completely rinsed and dry before loading new eggs. Temp & humidity at various stages is also important as is turning the eggs in the beginning unless you have an auto turner in your incubator.

Are you using shipped eggs or those available locally? Shipping especially long distances can be fraught with peril - the shipping carriers aren't that careful with you at times.

If they are your eggs are you sure the Rooster is doing his job? Please go to the "raising backyard poultry" section and check out the hatching chicks thread.

Greetings from Kansas, teresa42999, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us. Sorry about your hatching bad luck. I agree with drumstick - post in the incubating/hatching thread. Good luck to you!

the temp is usually 99.5,i use eggs from our hens,the incubator is a little giant model 9200 still air with an egg turner. i didnt know your suppose to rinse the incubator between hatches.

sorry im posting this here,i couldnt find how to post.

Cleaning the incubator is very important. When my bator started getting worn down and harder to clean the hatches got worse and worse. Also do you candle your eggs?

yes we canlde our eggs.we look for an air sac in the bigger end of the eggsbut we dont candle them during the hatching process.

If you still have the eggs I might would candle them to see what is going on and if they are still alive.

Back
Top Bottom