can the babies go out?

coachwife2004

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Texas
I'm new to the chicken world, I've ordered 5 cochin pullets from my local feed store to come in on Feb. 6th...yeah:lol:! so I have a rabbit cage that i'm going to put inside the house can these little babies go outside during the day like in their cage? Could I just sit it on my porch for a bit for the fresh air or is that bad?? I'm in Texas so it does't get that cold here we say it is bitterly cold when it's around 19 degrees at night?? Thanks for the help. Steph

I got my chicks in April, 2007. On nice days with little to no wind they were outside for short periods of time at little more than a week old. YOU HAVE TO WATCH THEIR BEHAVIOR FOR CLUES. If there are huddling and peeping loudly, they're too cold and need to go back under their heat lamp.

Here is the rule of thumb that people on here go by.

for the first week of life: 95 degrees F
2cnd: 90
3rd: 85
4rth: 80
etc.

When they get to be about 8 weeks old you can very carefully expose them to temperatures below 50 degrees.

At 10 weeks they should have "feahtered out" and can take fairly cold temperatures.

I would NOT let them out in the cold until about 8 weeks at least.

hope this helps.

Day olds (or even just a few weeks olds) don't belong outside at all without a mama hen to huddle under for warmth whenever they need to. Here's some examples of other people's brooders. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6233

There's
all kinds of methods, a big cardboard box will do, as long as it's big enough so they can go to the 'warm side' where the light bulb is shining, or go over to the cool side for food and water.

That sort of mimics how they act around a 'mother hen' they venture out for a little gnosh and some water, then go back to the warm spot (mama). They need both the cool side and the warm side so they can regulate their own temp, and not get chilled or cook.

Rimshoes gave a good timeline for them, it can vary a little depending on the chicks, your climate, and the set up, but that's a very good guideline.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom