Can The Microwave Hurt Hatching Eggs??

suzettex5

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
California
I was wondering... If I am saving up fertile eggs to hatch, and I put them near, or on top of, a microwave, will the microwave put off any wierd radiation that will hurt or destroy the fertility of the eggs? I know there is a problem with postal xrays hurting eggs hatchability, but what about microwaves?

Its a newer style microwave, btw.

I don't think it will hurt them but I am no expert.
A few years ago I had one lone Ancona egg sitting out and was gonna put it with some other eggs I was getting ready to hatch.
My son put the egg in the microwave and turned it on. I am not sure for how long, but it was several seconds before I could stop him and get it out.
Anyway I went ahead and put it in the bator with the other eggs.
It was the only egg that hatched.
We named it Micro.

A microwaves radiation is contained to w/i 12 inches of the unit. They should be fine if you keep them that far away.

At first reading the header I though you were cooking them!
lol.png

My dad tried to hard boil an egg in the microwave when we first got one in the early 80's

It exploded & blew the door open showering the kitchen with broken glass & molten egg!

I have a handy little microwave egg cooker I love. It holds 4 eggs at a time, above a reservoir of water. Microwave 8 minutes, you get 4 hard-boiled eggs. Guess they're actually steam-cooked, but it was so cool to cook 'em in the microwave! Don't even have to pierce the shells first.

Whoops, sorry to hijack the thread. But midget_farms is right, the "radiation" is contained inside due to shielding, and only some is "leaked" outside to just within 12 inches or so.

Well, just be careful of the heat vented out of the unit. The top of mine can get quite warm when I'm using it for an extended period, like cooking rice for 30 minutes. THAT might damage or kill the eggs, if they're sitting too close and it gets too hot. Probably not likely, but better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom