Can The Microwave Hurt Hatching Eggs??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by suzettex5, Jan 17, 2011.

1. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    I was wondering... If I am saving up fertile eggs to hatch, and I put them near, or on top of, a microwave, will the microwave put off any wierd radiation that will hurt or destroy the fertility of the eggs? I know there is a problem with postal xrays hurting eggs hatchability, but what about microwaves?

Its a newer style microwave, btw.

2. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    I don't think it will hurt them but I am no expert.
    A few years ago I had one lone Ancona egg sitting out and was gonna put it with some other eggs I was getting ready to hatch.
    My son put the egg in the microwave and turned it on. I am not sure for how long, but it was several seconds before I could stop him and get it out.
    Anyway I went ahead and put it in the bator with the other eggs.
    It was the only egg that hatched.
    We named it Micro.

3. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    That is where I keep mine, and I haven't had any issues yet..

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    A microwaves radiation is contained to w/i 12 inches of the unit. They should be fine if you keep them that far away.

At first reading the header I though you were cooking them! [​IMG]

My dad tried to hard boil an egg in the microwave when we first got one in the early 80's

It exploded & blew the door open showering the kitchen with broken glass & molten egg!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a handy little microwave egg cooker I love. It holds 4 eggs at a time, above a reservoir of water. Microwave 8 minutes, you get 4 hard-boiled eggs. Guess they're actually steam-cooked, but it was so cool to cook 'em in the microwave! Don't even have to pierce the shells first.

Whoops, sorry to hijack the thread. But midget_farms is right, the "radiation" is contained inside due to shielding, and only some is "leaked" outside to just within 12 inches or so.

6. sport14692

sport14692 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Carencro, La
    No way, lol

7. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, just be careful of the heat vented out of the unit. The top of mine can get quite warm when I'm using it for an extended period, like cooking rice for 30 minutes. THAT might damage or kill the eggs, if they're sitting too close and it gets too hot. Probably not likely, but better safe than sorry.

8. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:[​IMG]

No!!!

That is pretty interesting. Now do you pre-nuke all your hatching eggs. [​IMG]

9. cabincrazyone

cabincrazyone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    Quote:Why take a chance? Is it the only spot in the entire kitchen where you have room for an egg carton? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  10. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would find a better place.

I dont even use a microwave for personal use

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by