Can the port style bucket feeders cause bald spots

Hey Teddy. Try hanging the feeder instead of using cement blocks. Waterers too. That way n they mare less likely to rub against anything. I even do this with chicks in the brooder. It will also save on your feed bill, as they can't easily bill anything out. And you can take up the feeders when you put the flock up for the night.
Good idea, I will look into that for sure. Surprisingly we have little to no spillage or waste, other then the chipmunks getting in during the day

We have a flock of 16 birds and currently 6 of them have bald spots on their throats. We use 2 Rent A Coop bucket feeders with the ports. I had the feeders set up on tall cinder blocks and was noticing the chickens throats rub pretty hard on the port when they reach down to feed, right where their bald spots are. Could this be the issue. I removed the covers from the ports and I lowered the feeders to just 2" off the ground and they don't seem to rub nearly as badly. It has been about a week and I have not noticed feathers coming back in but there seems to be little spikes starting to grow which I am guessing are feather starters?

I have checked for mites and lice about a gazillion times and no indication, they all lay great, almost daily. nice big red and healthy combs and generally very happy chickens who have access to a 600 square foot run! And get to free range daily so I do not believe it is picking or boredom as it is localized only to their throats.

Any one have any suggestions or thoughts?

I have attached a photo of the bald spot on our girl Francesca

Thank you so much!
Y'all this is exactly what happened to my chickens!!!
I definitely suggest getting a new feeder, just in case. We tried that, and our chickens are on the road to healthy again! ☺️

Back
Top Bottom