Can these chicks go outside?

She did abandon them. I’ve had many broodies, it’s not my first time. She was unhappy the two weeks she had them, always wanted out, not letting them under her so I had to put a heat pad in brooder. One nearly died it was so cold. On many occasions they had to be locked in their kennel as she’d just stand ignoring them. A good broody should respond to their chicks cheeping, especially when it’s 8c outside. They’re not living with the main flock, they’re staying as they’re own bantam flock, so no need for reintroduction. Thanks for the tips on that though.

Poor kiddos. I've had a couple bad moms too, and their chicks get taken by CPS (chick protection service). Every once in a while you get one that's great at the setting part and there's just something wrong with their chick rearing instincts. Sigh. I'm glad they're safe and well on their way!

Here's my momma with her babies!

Attachments

• Resized_20191025_184557.jpeg
    Resized_20191025_184557.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Resized_20191025_184432.jpeg
    Resized_20191025_184432.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 8
Here's my momma with her babies!
Update: momma still sleeps in the egg box with her babies. She still puffs up and tries to cover them, but they are huge. They are so big, that it takes me a minute to figure out who momma is in the pile. I have been moving them up to roost next to the cozy coop heater the past couple of nights since it is down in the low teens and twenties.

Couldn't help but chuckle to see that she 'intends' to hatch out another batch when she's not yet weened this batch! She's obviously a good momma. Since she's still hormonal, and with those eggs under her, it's unlikely that she'll roost comfortably until the matter is sorted out one way or the other. You'll either need to take the eggs from her, or take the chicks from her. IF you elect to allow her to brood these new eggs, you'll need to pay very close attention to her weight, ensure she's eating extra and also add a complete vitamin/mineral supplement to her water or give her vitamin/supplement drops daily (Something like ChickBooster) to ensure that she's not brooding herself to death and add some extra calories with something rich in protein and fats, like sardines packed in sunflower or olive oil. Broody hens are also more susceptible to external parasites such as mites and lice, so you'll want to give her the white glove treatment (rub a light rag or glove under her wings and at the base of her tail until the gloves have some 'dirt' on them, if the dirt moves... she's got parasites, otherwise, she's okay.)

Back
Top Bottom