Can these chicks go outside?

Nov 28, 2017
UK
I have a couple of near 6 week old bantams that aren’t fully feathered but close. I need to put them outside because my mum won’t let me keep them in any longer. My broody was supposed to be raising them but she abandoned them at 3 weeks old. I’d like to put them out tomorrow. It’s getting between 8 and 6c on a night, but Monday and Tuesday night it will be 4c. I can post a pic of the hutch tomorrow. But I was thinking of putting a cardboard box to help keep a warm place. I have a small Sungglesafe heat pad as well.

Sounds like a good mama! I had an Orpington who was the same, her three Silkies were fully grown and sleeping around her, they couldn’t physically fit under her lol. I think the issue with my broody is that she’s a hybrid, the instinct is obviously there but it’s not very strong. I gave her away not long after though as she didn’t lay either. She was relentlessly pretending to be broody so I bought her those chicks. She wasn’t even bothered by them so I think she’s just a ‘wrong un’. Hopefully these bantams will brood next year and make better mums!
Sounds like Canela. She laid two eggs in total before going broody. (She adopted her sister's chicks after her sister died while brooding). So In all, she's laid two eggs and raised these five chicks. I doubt I'll ever see another egg from her, she's so tiny and doesn't seem interested in ever laying again. She's a happy momma though. I intend to keep her as I specifically wanted a broody girl and I certainly got one!

I've got a broody hen that's refusing to ween hers, they're pushing the three month mark. She's just this week decided to move them out of her nesting spot and into her preferred roosting area, my mango tree, and even there, she's tucking them under her wings to the best of her ability. Kind of funny as it doesn't get cooler than the low 80's in the middle of the night here :) This hen, Canela, at full grown weighs 17 ounces, and she's refusing to ween five... count them... five... chicks!

Yes, and the nest turns into a feather mosh pit.
Little Foot's Brood last night in nest box 002.jpg

Or they're so big when they get up, they take the hen with them for a step or two.

Big babies.jpg

I have a couple of near 6 week old bantams that aren’t fully feathered but close. I need to put them outside because my mum won’t let me keep them in any longer. My broody was supposed to be raising them but she abandoned them at 3 weeks old. I’d like to put them out tomorrow. It’s getting between 8 and 6c on a night, but Monday and Tuesday night it will be 4c. I can post a pic of the hutch tomorrow. But I was thinking of putting a cardboard box to help keep a warm place. I have a small Sungglesafe heat pad as well.

Have a look at "Momma Heating Pads" or "MHP"s - all kinds of ways to make a nice little cave to sleep in. You'll want to make sure it doesn't turn itself off after 2hrs, though given their age, maybe it won't be much of an issue since they're so close to being fully feathered. One group liked to sleep away from their heat source at night in kind of a bowl I made in the straw - then they'd get up, eat their breakfast, and go under their MHP in the cold hours of the morning.

The momma didn't abandon them at 3 weeks of age, she WEENED them. In her opinion, they were ready for the big-wide-world. To reintroduce them, they need to have at least a week or two of "look but don't touch" time with the flock, and also some hiding spots that have food and water in them, places that they can go, and big chickens cannot.

I've got a broody hen that's refusing to ween hers, they're pushing the three month mark. She's just this week decided to move them out of her nesting spot and into her preferred roosting area, my mango tree, and even there, she's tucking them under her wings to the best of her ability. Kind of funny as it doesn't get cooler than the low 80's in the middle of the night here :) This hen, Canela, at full grown weighs 17 ounces, and she's refusing to ween five... count them... five... chicks!
And, I am jealous about your weather. I wish I had a mango tree. I live in Pennsylvania.:lol:

She did abandon them. I’ve had many broodies, it’s not my first time. She was unhappy the two weeks she had them, always wanted out, not letting them under her so I had to put a heat pad in brooder. One nearly died it was so cold. On many occasions they had to be locked in their kennel as she’d just stand ignoring them. A good broody should respond to their chicks cheeping, especially when it’s 8c outside. They’re not living with the main flock, they’re staying as they’re own bantam flock, so no need for reintroduction. Thanks for the tips on that though.

Poor kiddos. I've had a couple bad moms too, and their chicks get taken by CPS (chick protection service). Every once in a while you get one that's great at the setting part and there's just something wrong with their chick rearing instincts. Sigh. I'm glad they're safe and well on their way!

There’s no way to get electricity outside. Snugglesafe heat pads are microwavable pads that stay warm for 12 hrs.

OK, so you could use that pad and put it over a frame, or I guess put it under where it might stay warm longer - and just use towels over the top or something like that. Have they been sleeping on the ground still or are they perching now?

Back
Top Bottom