Can they all live together at this age?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Gator113, May 15, 2011.

1. Gator113

Gator113 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    Port Angeles, Washington
    I have 3, two week old Muscovy duckies that we have taken from their mom and we plan to raise them in a box for a few weeks, or until they are large enough to defend themselves from the evil murdering chickens.

I have ordered 4 freshly hatched African Brown Geese and 2 newborn Indian Runners that should arrive within the next 2 days.... they will be hatched tomorrow.

QUESTIONS: Can all of these babies live in the same box with the 3 baby Muscovies or do I need to keep them separate until they have grown a bit? Can they all eat the same food?

I am nervous about all of this. The 3 remaining Muscovies are from a hatching of 15...our first hatching from our first ducks. I named the survivors: Beethoven, Armed and Dangerous. We lost one to a crow on their first walk with mom, then two days later and within one hour, 11 were murdered by our vicious chickens . I was so mad at the chickens that if I knew which chickens were responsible, they would already be dog food (ok, I still love our girls, but I will never again trust them around babies). grrrr

Anyway, I need some guidance, as it was my ignorance that has already cost me 11 beautiful baby Muscovies. While I had wanted to keep everything natural, losing these little guys have changed everything. I am going to build a nursery and I'm going to buy an incubator.
    It's been about 4 days since the mass-murder occurred and the poor mom Muscovy acts like she is still looking for her babies. I think it would be much easier for me to steal her eggs than to take her babies from her.

Thank you for any advice.

Cheers,

Dan

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They can all eat the same food but I wouldn't put the new ducklings in with the older ones. The goslings should be about the same size as the older ducklings so they should be okay.

Couldn't you put mama scovy in a pen with her babies? Then she could raise them and they would be safe.

3. Gator113

Apr 25, 2009
    Port Angeles, Washington
    Quote:We have been thinking about doing that, but I am afraid of losing any more.

How long can they be away from their mother before she refuses to take them back?

We have had them in the house for 2 days so far.

I don't know if it matters, but she is already being bred again. I would love for her to start over again... she hatched all 15 eggs and seemed like a very good mom, even though this was her first time.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  4. New Dreamz

New Dreamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    My sister decided that she was going to get me an easter present this year.....4 BIG yellow pekins.... I was totally not set up for them, well we set up the can and light and they stayed in that for about a week... long enough for me to be tired of cleaning up their water mess...lol In the mean time i was at the local farm store and they had the cutest little ducklings and they were having a sale on all the poultry. Of course I couldnt resist. Ended up coming home with even more pullet chicks and 2 little duckies; I figured I already had duck mess, whats a couple more. Well that didnt work so well when i introduced them. The bigger ducklings started to attack the little ones. I was nervous about putting the bigger ones with my adult ducks and geese as everyone is breeding and laying. Also affraid they would be too cold (just having the fuzz) or not be able to get out of the pond. Well we did a test run with them and they got in the pond and were having a blast. After everyone did all their hissing and fluffing of the feathers they all figured it out. I had moved my brown chinese nest cause she had made it right in front of the gate, she didnt like that and made me nervous that she wasnt going to sit on the eggs after a couple hrs of watching her, so i gave them to my roman in her nest. My brown chinese put up the biggest protest when they were first introduced, she would hiss and chase them. Now she has adopted them as her own, protecting them in the pond and when they come out to eat, she keeps all the others away so they can eat in peace. Funny how nature works out.

So as far as putting the older ones with the new ones, If its a big size difference it probably wont work. Putting mom in a pen with the babies, she most likely will take them back. Looks like you will be chick sitting until you are sure everyone is compatible. Got any pictures?

Good Luck!

God Bless,
    Honnie

5. Gator113

Apr 25, 2009
    Port Angeles, Washington
    Honnie, thank you for your comments. I have so much to learn about all of this and I need all the help I can get. I have been working on getting everything ready for this new passion, but I still have much to do and I just couldn't wait to start. My wife recently broke her leg in 3 places, so for now it's just me.... but we're getting there.

A quick story: We have been on this 5 acres for about 25 years. We have raised cattle and 2 kids in years past, but that's it.

Bird Fever~~~~~ It all started about 1 1/2 years ago when I decided I wanted 4 layers. About 4 months later, I was up to 26 hens. LOL We now have eggs coming out of our ears. My wife sells some to her friends at work, I eat some and we drop off about 7 dozen at a time to the local food bank. I must be crazy!

This last Fall I decided that it might be fun to have a couple of ducks around. I found some Muscovies for sale by a private party about 3 hours from my house. After I got there to pick up the ducks, I decided that considering the cost and effort of the long drive, I might as well take 4 home.... before I left the seller, I bought 6.

A few months later I decided that it might be nice to have a couple geese around. I came home with 4 Toulouse geese.

Presently, I still have one Muscovy sitting on her nest of only 4 eggs, a goose sitting on about a dozen and another goose that has decided to lay.. she has two eggs so far.

This last Friday, I ordered 4 African Brown Geese and two Indian Runner Ducks... they will hatch tomorrow.

Now I want an incubator so that I can control some of this. ;>)

I think this has become an addiction. LOL

It all started out so innocently. I wanted some of that farm feeling I once had as a child...but 4 chickens just didn't do it. I now have Ovaltine in the cupboard, I have gone back to drinking Kool-Aid and I don't go any place I can't take my dog.

Recently, I've been thinking about a couple of Turkeys and a couple rabbits.

I'm thinking that by this time next year, this property will be alive. If my bride of 38 years doesn't kill me, so will I.

Honest, I could go on. LOL

Cheers,

Dan

6. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Just skip the turkeys and get a couple good natured goats! We have ours, they mingle with All the farm animals I have. I have a Horse, 2 goats, 2 Pekin ducks and a Khaki campbell 14days old today, 3dogs-Black Lab, Rat Terrier, Chihuahua, and a Beta fish. I thinks sometims you just have to let your personality rule the flock, and they will do what you want mostly. BUT TURKEYS..............NO!
    But thats my advice and /or opinion. Shoot if ya don't have a horse go get yerself one, mine is my lawn mower, goats r my weedwackers, ducks are my slug eaters (amungst other things) and the goos is my grass eater.
    I also have 5 acres, so have plenty of space for animals, just like I have plenty of space left on my body for tats, but not gonna get anymore for awhile, unless I absolutely, unequivically have to go get a goose for my lone one that has only seen ducks, dogs and humans....He thinks hes human cause he imprinted on me.
    Well I hope my lil story helped ya out a little.
    Thanks,
    Tina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by