Can they do good with just free ranging and snacks

You're welcome. scratch grains, seeds, yogurt, cheese, etc , basically anything that's not chicken feed is considered a treat, however I know people who consider fruits and veggies a treat, I'm not one of those people but vegetables and fruit should be given in moderation because they have 1. water and 2. fiber, too much and the chickens get 'the squirts' and it's a mess on their bum fluff and could attract flies.
Oatmeal is very starchy, and could possibly cause crop issues, but every now and then won't hurt anyone. :] What part of az are in in?
I’m in surprise

Not all of them are the same age but the youngest (the buff orp) is 4 months and 3 weeks old the Easter eggers are 5 months the 2 oldest are the roosters
Ohhh...I misunderstood. I thought you said they were 6 months old.

I have 6 chickens and they are all bantams except one Cornish cross. The chicks were started on some kind of food that Pratt’s Pets suggested, well that ran out and ever since then for about the last 5 months they have just been free-ranging in the yard and we give them treats like watermelon and oatmeal. Is this enough for them to be happy and healthy? If not what would I need to get them!

Ohhh...I misunderstood. I thought you said they were 6 months old.
It was easy to infer that from the op's first post.

After clarified differences in ages and genders, may be best to feed all-flock feed. Offer oyster shell on the side or switch to layer feed when your pullets start laying. @coledabomb , hopefully the advice you have been given is not too confusing. The advice changed as you gave more details about your chickens.

What is almost for certain is that your flock hasnt had enough protein or other nutients for the past several months. They are probably on the small side even for bantams, and the pullets may not start laying until they are fed a higher-protein feed formulated for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom