Can they do good with just free ranging and snacks

What is your pullet to cockerel ratio?
It was easy to infer that from the op's first post.

After clarified differences in ages and genders, may be best to feed all-flock feed. Offer oyster shell on the side or switch to layer feed when your pullets start laying. @coledabomb , hopefully the advice you have been given is not too confusing. The advice changed as you gave more details about your chickens.

What is almost for certain is that your flock hasnt had enough protein or other nutients for the past several months. They are probably on the small side even for bantams, and the pullets may not start laying until they are fed a higher-protein feed formulated for chickens.
Thank you for the info I just bought them a 50lb bag of scratch grains and a 50lb bag of flock raiser crumbles and I also got a 5lb bag of Oyster shell things

Thank you for the info I just bought them a 50lb bag of scratch grains and a 50lb bag of flock raiser crumbles and I also got a 5lb bag of Oyster shell things
Sounds good. But remember the scratch grains are for treats only, not a complete feed for chickens of any age. Treats should be no more than 10% of a chickens diet. It will take a loooong time for you to go through 100 pounds of feed if you only have 6 chickens. (Your CornishX will likely eat more than all the others combined). And they really dont need scratch grains (treats) right now at all, since they've had very little protein for the last several months. Scratch grains are low in protein.

Any chance you can take the 50# bag of scratch back to the store for a refund or exchange? I know you are trying to do the best you know how for your chickies, & there is a lot to learn in the beginning. But i would feed the all-flock crumble Only until you go through that 50# bag. Then Maybe think about scratch grains. Maybe.

Sounds good. But remember the scratch grains are for treats only, not a complete feed for chickens of any age. Treats should be no more than 10% of a chickens diet. It will take a loooong time for you to go through 100 pounds of feed if you only have 6 chickens. (Your CornishX will likely eat more than all the others combined). And they really dont need scratch grains (treats) right now at all, since they've had very little protein for the last several months. Scratch grains are low in protein.

Any chance you can take the 50# bag of scratch back to the store for a refund or exchange? I know you are trying to do the best you know how for your chickies, & there is a lot to learn in the beginning. But i would feed the all-flock crumble Only until you go through that 50# bag. Then Maybe think about scratch grains. Maybe.
The guy there said that I should mix the two together and feed them unlimited amount

The guy there said that I should mix the two together and feed them unlimited amount
Oh no. Do not mix. That guy is an idiot or just wanted to sell you more stuff.

It will take you a year to get through that amount of scratch if you are feeding it correctly in very small amounts as a treat. If you can return it, I would. Stick to the flock raiser. It has all they need.

Personally, I use scratch to tame my chickens and teach them to feed from my hands, and also in the winter a little bit before bed as the carbs keep them warm at night. It is like candy, they shouldn't have too much.

Ps. He Was correct telling you to feed them an unlimited amount. (Except for maybe the cornishX). But he was wrong about mixing the scratch and all-flock together. I do understand its confusing right now, & you may not be sure who to listen to. You can research more info on byc if you arent sure. Thats the very best way to learn!

I kno i jumped your ass on the other post but that’s exactly what i do; i have a trough available 24/7, that i blend 50 lb all flock & 50 lb scratch grain.. i have 12 laying hens & 2 roos.

the 6 ducks get a 50 lb all flock & 25 lb scratch grain in there trough

the 5 pullets get 50 lb chick feed & the other 25 lb scratch in theres

100 lbs lasts me right at 5 wks for the chickens
75 lbs lasts right at a month for the ducks
75 lb for pullet lasts 2- 2.5 months, they dont eat as much as the adults

that equivalates very close to the 1/4 lb per day per bird formula on chickens, and the almost 1/2 lb per day per duck

Back
Top Bottom