Can they eat chicken??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by peggyb43, Oct 26, 2008.

1. peggyb43

peggyb43 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    I have lots of leftover chicken and noodles that I wondered if I can feed it to my 11 week old chick kids?? It seems kind of cannibalistic!

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    They can. [​IMG]

3. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    They can, but mine refuse. It makes me wonder if they know what it is :| They look at me like I'm nuts! Lol!

4. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    They will absolutely devour it. I try to never feed animals their own kind though because that is supposedly where BSE came from. I may be just being overly cautious. My grandma never had any issues feeding them leftover chicken and dumplings.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I let mine clean off the bones when I make stock.

Yeah, it's gross, but they love it. who am I to judge?

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I often wondered the same thing, so I fed some back to them, I first cooked the fire out of it and chopped it up real fine. they liked it no problem.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't feed them any leftovers. Except I have given them some cooked pasta. I feed raw vegies, grains, etc. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Mine love eating left over meat. Some say don't do it, some go ahead and do it with no ill effects. The prion diseases are caused by feeding sick animals back to live animals. If the meat was healthy, once you cook it down it's fine in my book. Might not be in others.

9. Coop_day_ta

Coop_day_ta New Egg

Oct 27, 2008
    Boise Id
    Mine really like table scraps of anything (inc. chicken), and when I have extra, they love scrambled eggs as a treat. I try to avoid salts and a lot of fat if they are getting plenty of bugs, but in winter I feed them as I would pigs...they get regular rations plus whatever the house apes don't finish. They do get plenty of grass as well, when its not covered in snow. I have never lost a hen to this diet, and their eggs are plentiful and delicious!

10. peggyb43

peggyb43 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    Thanks All. I also feed them veggies and grains in addition to regular chicken food, but wasn't sure about people food. I'll try it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by