can they go in at 10 or 12 weeks?

chickenbottom

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
hollister, florida
well im having issues on where to put the babies when they reach a larger chicken size lol
the older girls are just about 10 months old and well they are legal and my little ones here are not
and im wondering if this is an okay age to put them in with the others i just have to evil ones of my flock
SONNY AND GINGER lol they are evil worse than silkies evil. and i can keep them here until that age but older would be really really hard to do thanks in advance
i forgot to add they are only 3 and 5 weeks old right now

Last edited:
Hi,

I just fully introduced a mother hen and her 11 chicks into the flock of four other hens today. When the hen went broody, I moved her inside in a dog kennel where she stayed through the hatch. After 2 weeks inside, it was time for them to go! I converted half of the outside run into their area and bought a used plastic dog house for them to sleep in with the mother hen. I had them separated from the other hens with deer mesh.

They stayed that way for two weeks, and today, I took out the mesh separating them. All was fine. No problems whatsoever.

It seems that the other hens know that the little ones are "children" and they don't feel threatened by them, so no territorial nonsense.

The mother hen and chicks (4 weeks old now) are still sleeping in the dog house and the others are in their coop, but they share a run.

Well, that's a risky age difference I'd say. You're in Fla I see, so the weather isn't a huge worry, still 3 to 5 weeks is pretty young. Is there any way you could put a 'cage within a cage' in the coop? a large dog crate of some sort? They really should be fully feathered and at least close to the same size as the older hens before you mix them. It's different if they have a mama hen with them to protect them. Chicks alone are most likely going to have issues if mixed in with such large pullets or full grown hens. How many are there of each age group?

Quote:
i said in my title
can they go in at 10 or 12 weeks?

and actually they are fully feathered now they came from ideal poultry there are 13 older ones and 12 little ones.​

Last edited:
Oh, I see that now, not sure how I missed it but I guess I concentrate on the wording of the text less than the title so it just wasn't clear to me. 3 months old should be doable, but still best if they have some seperation for at least a week or so to give them time to get used to the sight and sound of each other for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom