Can they live together?

mrpekinduck

Songster
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
Ducky Land!
Hi, I have two full grown female Pekin ducks that live in a large coop and run in my backyard. In spring my dad said he would get me another duck for my birthday and I wanted to hatch and raise it. My question is if an Ancona duck, the breed that I want, could live happily with my two pekins once it is full grown? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Usually yes theres a odd time the older ones might be aggressive towards him. Usually with ducks though its easier to intergrate new birds into the current flock then chickens just keep a eye on them they should be fine.

I recoommend keeping the ducks outnumbering the drakes.

My ducks stay in their groups - not breeds. The first group I bought stays together and the second group I bought stays together. If you can get 2 more ducks, that would be best.

Well if you can its better to add ducks since they add the added bonus of eggs aswell. You run into a problem of overmating if you have to many drakes per duck. Yes it should be ok just to add one.

Ok good thanks and don't worry I don't have any drakes and I'm just going to hatch this one so we'll see what gender it turns out to be but either way it wouldn't matter I think they'd be ok with another hen or a drake.

Well you have 2 females they might even be happier if its a boy and in the future if they go broody you always have the option then of letting them hatch the eggs.

Oh that's good I don't think pekins go broody very often but hopefully I can get some babies!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom