Can they share?

TheRookie

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2012
Near Monroe, North Carolina
I recently posted on here about two ducks that came into my yard that were left behind by neighbors who had a duck house. They are very friendly, definitely domestic breeds, they even let me pet/ pick them up when they got too close to a pile of glass in the neighbors field. So with all that said... I have 17 chicks and have never had ducks so I have some questions.
1. If I keep the ducks, can they share a coop at night with my chickens? If so, what kind of modifications will I have to make as far as roosts and bedding?
2. How much space will two ducks need if I include them in the run we're building?
3. I have heard they can eat chicken feed but do they need a different type of feeder/waterer?
4. Finally, will I need to worry about the ducks passing any infections/diseases on to the chickens? If so what should I do to prevent it?

Thank you sooo much for taking the time to read this and answer my questions if you can. I dont want them to get attacked but my mom wont let me put them up on craigslist or on here to find a new home so Im trying to get them moved in as soon as possible. Any help or advice you can give, will be soo greatly appreciated.
smile.png

By the way, the male duck has one blue and one brown eye. Is it because hes a mix or is that normal?

I have two pekins and two blue swedes. I feed them layer pellets the same as my chickens and they lay better than my chickens faithfully everyday. I do not house them together my male blue swede is protective of his ladies with the other poultry. They are out during the day and at night go into a 4x6 area with a nest box which they lay there eggs in. the nest box is made from a rubbermaid tote box laid on the side and the cover screwed on with a hole cut in it for them to go in and out in. I hope this helps:) I had four bantams dropped off at my house once and I still have them and there offspring. I hatched out there eggs. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom