Can they stay outside??

speakup4kids

Songster
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
Yuba City , CA
I'm starting to think I should just change my name to paranoid chicken girl...
roll.png
but I have another question for everyone. I finished my temporary outside home for my 5 chickens today, ( I hesitate to call it a coop because, well, it is kind of scary
big_smile.png
) Anyway, finished it today and put my chicks out tonight. They are all 5 weeks old today except for my silkie who is 3 weeks. The "coop" is about 5 feet long, seperated into 3 areas they can go into freely and has two roosting areas. It is only about 3 feet high inside though because I haven't opened up the bottom yet for them. I put in shavings and their food. The back is hardware cloth and wood panels alternating so a breeze can come through and the front is solid wood on the bottom half and hardware cloth on the top except for one end that is the wood door. Top and bottom are solid wood. I live in California and while it has been pretty windy today the weather is relatively mild, probably dropping into the low 60's at night. Can I leave my chicks outside at night or will they be too cold? I'm thinking I should bring in my tiny serama because she's only 2 ounces but the others are bigger... Sorry for rambling, I really am kind of a stress case!

Thank You,
Heidi

The 5 week olds should be Ok, but 60 at night seems like it might be too cold for the 3 week olds.

Thanks for the quick reply! I only have the one 3 week old silky. But since I'm thinking I'm going to bring in my serama because she's so small, I'll bring the silky in too and they can be together. I just know I'm going to be up all night worrying about the other 3! I keep telling myself I have to let go sometime
wink.png

I guess if the 3 week old would be okay if it cuddled up with the others. But agree with SkyWarrior, if its going to make you stressed/paranoid maybe give it a few more weeks.

Back
Top Bottom