Can this be made secure?

CHlCKEN

Addict
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
So I’m needing a couple new runs and have my eye on this ALEKO Metal Walk-in Chicken Run-CKR10X20BL-HD - The Home Depot it’s a piece of absolute 💩 and will hold out nothing. I wanted to know if there is a way to turn this into a secure run for 10 chickens. I also want to spend under 1000 dollars per run if I can.

Has Anyone done this?

Is there an alternative? I want a cheap but very secure run for my birds. I don’t know if this even is the best option so tel me what else is out there.

I think the structure is fairly secure but that is essentially all you are paying for which seems rather expensive.

If you want to see what an absolute 💩 can be used for have a look at my cheapest run.

It's a $30 greenhouse (on offer) and an additional $20 for fencing to secure it

It's housing 4 bantams at the moment and I know the bigger you go the more expensive things get but I would consider using cattle panels to make a hoop run for your size considering you need to buy additional netting to secure it.

Ps: these mini greenhouses really are quite flimsy made with aluminium poles and my dog managed to snap 2 of them already trying to get to the chickens so I've had to reinforce the structure with steel and pvc tubing but as long as it is reinforced in the right places any structure can be made fairly secure.

Attachments

• IMG_6437.JPG
    IMG_6437.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 5
I have seen structures for dogs that look like that with heavier wire mesh. With the chicken one pictured I’d be concerned the frame itself might not hold up well if you add hardware cloth to it.
Check out covered dog kennels and see what you think. They will be more expensive but if you’re starting with a better structure you have fewer chances of throwing good money after bad. Right now everything construction related is horribly expensive. I wish you well and let us know what you come up with.

No. The chicken wire is a dead giveaway. It will need to be upgraded to something stronger.
What is your predator load? I have birds of prey, stray dogs and coyotes. I have built my runs exclusively out of 6' chain link panels. New they run around $100 for a 10' panel. Used on CL, I can find them for $20-50. You will need to add smaller holed wire to the bottom of you have large gaps or chicks. If you have climbing predators and need to cover, another panel or two flipped on the top will take care of that. The best part is it is simple to expand the run as you find more.

Back
Top Bottom