Can this chicken be saved?

Jhorra

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 29, 2013

My initial thought was no, but she's trying to stand and seems aware. We weren't vigilant enough and the dog got to her. She is able to stand but not long and is very wobbly. If we need to put her down I will, but if she has a chance I want to give it to her.

It doesn't look like it, but there is a hole where you can see internal organs.

You would be amazed at what they can come back from. Put her in a quiet place, inside (so no flies can breed in her wounds). See how she is in 24 hours, then make a decision. I had a chicken pretty much skinned alive last week by a strange dog. She was alert, so I sprayed antibiotic on her wounds and took a wait and see approach. She is doing fine now. She looks just horrible from her severe injuries, but will heal, given the chance. I did give her amoxicillin in scrambled eggs for a few days, too. She is now queen of the house. It will be months before I dare put her back with the flock. The thought of a rooster trying to mount her gives me nightmares!

Should I take her to a vet or just see if she pulls through?

I guess I just wonder what they would or would be able to do. We don't have a farm vet near by, so it would be a regular vet willing to check her.

We don't have a farm vet, either. We usually doctor them ourselves, the best we can. What any vet could do would be to stitch up her wounds and give her an antibiotic.

The best thing to do is to (if you haven't already cleaned it off) spray it down with a kitchen faucet sprayer and lukewarm water. If you have betadine or hibiclens to clean it off with use that, or use hydrogen peroxide only once, then rinse off. Dry it a little with paper towel. Apply neosporin or other brand of antibiotic ointment and leave unbandaged. Do not try to stitch this up since it needs to heal from inside out. Every day reapply the neosporin and watch for signs of infection. An antibiotic would be good--penicillin, amoxicillin, or keflex would be good ones. Feed her plenty of scrambled eggs, plain yogurt, and put apple cider vinegar (Braggs) in her water. If you do use antibiotics giving probiotics or yogurt is needed for gut bacteria health.

Back
Top Bottom