Can this duckling survive?

skyjams

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Western NC
I have a 5 day old Khaki campbell that was born with 1 leg twisted & splayed out behind it. It can't walk on it, the other leg is fine. It is scooting around, eating & drinking, cute & full of life. Will he be able to live like this?
chicken004-1.jpg

can the leg be put back into a normal position without hurting the little guy? If so, you can tie his legs together to hold them in the right position. YOu can also give him extra niacin/b vitamins in the form of Brewer's yeast (you can get it at a feed store or you can buy tablets from walmart and crush them). Just put the brewer's yeast on his food, and that should give him a little extra boost.

Quote:
I tried tying them together & also wrapped gauze & taped the bad leg into the right position, but it didnt seem to help. The bad leg is twisted but I can hold it in place without hurting him. I'll get some B. Yeast. I hope I dont have to put him down, but I dont want to prolong any suffering if he cant make it.
thanks

I had a peachick hatch like that this year, here's what I did to fix him on top of the above mentioned methods of vitamins and such
Take 4 toothpicks and some clear tape, place two on either side of the lower leg, and tape them around it, then do the same on the top half, fold the leg under the chick in a normal position then tape the two sets so that they will hold them leg in that position.
It will take a week or two keep an eye on it, be sure not to get it too tight, change the wrapping every few days, when you do, take the leg and work it back in forth in a walking stile motion to stretch the tendons and exercise it.
With any luck, it'll fix it, sometimes though, they just dont get better, all depends on how bad the tendon/joint deformation is
Good luck
Aubrey

If he doesn't get better, keep him on soft surfaces until his oil glands are working well enough to have him on water most of the time. One-legged waterfowl have the advantage of being able to get off their feet in water, but are prone to bumblefoot in their good foot otherwise. When I was a kid, I had a blue swede whose leg was twisted sideways. She held it stiffly at her side as she hopped along on her good foot... we used to joke that she looked like a load of dirty laundry on a pogo stick. LOL Funny as she looked, she was very capable of getting around on land as well as water. She would have lived longer if she'd had year-round pond access, though - my parents ended up putting her down because they just couldn't keep her foot clear one winter.

Splay leg. I have had a few chicks with it. Try this. Take a bandaid, cut it in half lengthwise, and tape each sticky part around the leg, leaving the fluff in the middle. It really works.

Like this:

splayed%20legs%20020.JPG

I might be able to make you a splint with some boning for stabilty that will attach to the other leg. I'll see what I can make tomorrow and if I think it'll work I'll send it to you. I make shoes for ducks so I might be able to come with something. All I ask is you take some pics and let me know it how it works! I'll post on Sunday evening whether or not I think it'll work. It's worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom