Can this Oak Tree be saved? Please help - crying & upset. PICS added.

I havent read all the responses but I had some suggestions for the tree. Can you support the weak side with a cable and stake it to the ground so that it would have some stability in the wind. Kinda like they do with telephone poles? Then I would mound dirt all the way up until all the roots are covered. That will encourage new root growth, I would think.
I feel so bad for you. I have very old oak trees as well and I dont think that I could bear to loose one. Keep us posted.
Kristyne

Ruth you are not crazy.NO ROOTS JUST DONT GROW BACK FYI!Hire a lisenced arborist and dont listen to people that say"I think alittle bit of mulch will help this tree and some cables!"If the root are damaged what good will do when armalaria sets in and all the rest of the roots are gone?UMMM,ill answer!NOTHING!:mad:

Wow, CT, alot of hostility there. She's just trying to help, and her first line says she didn't read other posts.

Let's not add to the original poster's distress, and try to stay pleasant with each other.

Ruth - so sorry to hear about your oak. My sister and I looked at the pictures you posted and were just sick about your possible loss of it.

Jess

Ruth can we get an update?

How close to the trunk did they cut the roots? How many feet (Sorry if I missed this somewhere)

Bubba

CTArborist Does balsa grow in her area? Would it become a weed there...?
Royal Paulownia?
Tulip Poplar?
Royal Empress Tree?
Autumn Blaze Maple?
Just some trees to look at and maybe think of ideas Ruth. If that was your shade then you need to find a new one, if your oak passes away....

OK, so I'm in England, we have English oaks! I have a LOT of trees round me that any sane person would have cut down long ago!

Can you let us/me know how deep the trench was, what is your subsoil like (are you on rock for instance), when the hurricane came and you lost same species trees did they uproot or snap off? Which direction is the prevailing wind from? (injured side or not). There have been a lot of pessimistic posts, I don't want to raise your hopes, but there may just be enough still going on underground!!

Back
Top Bottom