Can time change screw up your birds' laying?

I changed the timer because I didn't want the light suddenly turning off in the dark at night. Though a streetlight does shine in their window (couldn't stop it unfortunately) but it's not ultra bright I don't think but it might be bright enough for them to get to their roosts. I'm not sure.
When I used lights in the winter, I would change them so that the light did not come on at 4 in the morning. Hens laying eggs, and singing the egg song bothered the neighbors.

:oops:

When I used lights in the winter, I would change them so that the light did not come on at 4 in the morning. Hens laying eggs, and singing the egg song bothered the neighbors.

:oops:

Fortunately my coop is insulated and about 130' away from both neighbors (my lot backs onto a road thankfully). We can't even hear the egg song inside the house and can barely hear it when we are on our back porch. I've got it set to come on at 2 am and go off at 4 pm so they get 14 hours (it gets pretty dark in the shed/coop if it's not on and I can't see eggs when gathering them. Plus I have their feed and water in the coop itself to minimize waste, weather exposure (uncovered run-only wire to protect from cats and hawks), and so they can eat and drink before I wake up and let them out.

Fortunately my coop is insulated and about 130' away from both neighbors (my lot backs onto a road thankfully). We can't even hear the egg song inside the house and can barely hear it when we are on our back porch. I've got it set to come on at 2 am and go off at 4 pm so they get 14 hours (it gets pretty dark in the shed/coop if it's not on and I can't see eggs when gathering them. Plus I have their feed and water in the coop itself to minimize waste, weather exposure (uncovered run-only wire to protect from cats and hawks), and so they can eat and drink before I wake up and let them out.
I live in a city and there are three houses close to my backyard. I have to be careful or the neighbors will turn me in. Nothing happens because they are legal here and their is no nuisance clause in the ordinance but it is a hassle!

I live in a city and there are three houses close to my backyard. I have to be careful or the neighbors will turn me in. Nothing happens because they are legal here and their is no nuisance clause in the ordinance but it is a hassle!

My chickens are legal, but I do have to be careful too. My HOA says no BUT the city has since passed a law stating "ALL single-family dwelling lots in the city can have hens- no roosters unless there's at least 2 acres owned, but all can have hens". My immediate neighbors don't mind at all, and my HOA is very lazy and 3/4 of the HOA members are behind on their dues and I've paid mine every year (gosh I hate HOAs but this was the only house we could afford at the time and had a 1/4 acre lot. Hope to get acreage next year).

But I don't want to fight that battle of which rule/law takes precedence. City law trumps HOA in this case, especially as the HOA rules were written prior to this law, but the last thing I want to do is fight anti-animal city folks who think the only animal worth having is a dog or a cat :( I'd win, but I don't want to go through that hassle.

Thankfully with the insulated coop and no neighbors behind me, I haven't had an issue :)

My chickens are legal, but I do have to be careful too. My HOA says no BUT the city has since passed a law stating "ALL single-family dwelling lots in the city can have hens- no roosters unless there's at least 2 acres owned, but all can have hens". My immediate neighbors don't mind at all, and my HOA is very lazy and 3/4 of the HOA members are behind on their dues and I've paid mine every year (gosh I hate HOAs but this was the only house we could afford at the time and had a 1/4 acre lot. Hope to get acreage next year).

But I don't want to fight that battle of which rule/law takes precedence. City law trumps HOA in this case, especially as the HOA rules were written prior to this law, but the last thing I want to do is fight anti-animal city folks who think the only animal worth having is a dog or a cat :( I'd win, but I don't want to go through that hassle.

Thankfully with the insulated coop and no neighbors behind me, I haven't had an issue :)
That is good news! We do not have an HOA here

Back
Top Bottom