Can time change screw up your birds' laying?

That is good news! We do not have an HOA here
I hate hate hate hate hate living in the city! If I had my way, I'd be living on 20 acres a half hour outside of town with chickens (meat and laying flock, including roosters), milk cow, meat cow, meat pigs, ducks, horses, etc and have a 1 acre orchard and 1 acre garden, grow my feed on several other acres, and grow a couple acres of gourmet garlic as a cash crop.

But due to finances (mainly hubby's student loans- ick master's in mental health counseling was so expensive, especially as I can't work due to health (not a regular job anyway) and his 1 year internship was legally unpaid, which I think is stupid and we had to live off the stupid things), our acreage journey will have to wait. We could afford to buy the 20 acres now, but we won't have enough left after putting in a well and septic to build the house itself (wells run $30k here-ouch!). I'm sorely tempted to just buy an RV travel trailer and build our house a tiny bit at a time, but we'll see what happens next year.

It sucks that land is so expensive. I can't buy even 5 acres (the minimum we'd need for the animals and garlic) with a house on it for less than $250,000 anywhere in Washington, Idaho, Montana. And that's a manufactured house- don't even get me started about a stick-built! :hmm And yes, that included in the middle of nowhere areas of these states. My grandmother is aging and my husband's parents will follow in short order (his dad retired this Sept) so we can't leave the area.

I hate hate hate hate hate living in the city! If I had my way, I'd be living on 20 acres a half hour outside of town with chickens (meat and laying flock, including roosters), milk cow, meat cow, meat pigs, ducks, horses, etc and have a 1 acre orchard and 1 acre garden, grow my feed on several other acres, and grow a couple acres of gourmet garlic as a cash crop.

But due to finances (mainly hubby's student loans- ick master's in mental health counseling was so expensive, especially as I can't work due to health (not a regular job anyway) and his 1 year internship was legally unpaid, which I think is stupid and we had to live off the stupid things), our acreage journey will have to wait. We could afford to buy the 20 acres now, but we won't have enough left after putting in a well and septic to build the house itself (wells run $30k here-ouch!). I'm sorely tempted to just buy an RV travel trailer and build our house a tiny bit at a time, but we'll see what happens next year.

It sucks that land is so expensive. I can't buy even 5 acres (the minimum we'd need for the animals and garlic) with a house on it for less than $250,000 anywhere in Washington, Idaho, Montana. And that's a manufactured house- don't even get me started about a stick-built! :hmm And yes, that included in the middle of nowhere areas of these states. My grandmother is aging and my husband's parents will follow in short order (his dad retired this Sept) so we can't leave the area.
I am with you on the City living!

I hope to find something in the Country when I retire. That will be in a couple of years of so

Back
Top Bottom