Can turkey chicks be given click medicated food

Hillbilly rob

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2017
Hi I just bought turkey chicks and I've lost two with in 18days 20 percent I can't get turkey medicated or techramiason (antibiotic) can I use chicken medicine?

Hi I just bought turkey chicks and I've lost two with in 18days 20 percent I can't get turkey medicated or techramiason (antibiotic) can I use chicken medicine?
Welcome to BYC! Turkeys nutritional needs are different than chicken chicks, so it would be best to find something formulated for turkeys and/or gamebirds. Any stores near you sell Purinia? If so, see if they have Purina Game Bird Starter.

@R2elk

What symptoms are they showing before they have died? Are they showing signs of coccidiosis, such as runny poops, lethargy, refusal to eat and standing around hunched? Medicated feed for cocci is not strong enough for treating an outbreak, where you would need to use Corid in the water. Most gamebird chicks such as turkeys require 24% gamebird feed. Tractor supply has one in their Dumor line. You can usually see swollen bluish intestines from coccidiosis, if you do a necropsy right after death. Sorry for your loss.

I used to raise Royal Palm turkeys,
lots of them,.
turkeys' immune system is very weak until they become about 12 to 13 weeks old.
they should not mingle with chickens during this time.
they should also not be allowed to walk the ground where chickens have been.
I built two huge turkey porches.
enclosed cages raised off the ground.
I kept all the young turkeys in them until they were old enough to risk letting them go..
I had much better livability rate with these cages.

However, I did mix all baby birds that were hatched in my incubators together in these cages.
I don't normally let my chickens hatch their own eggs. but I would not put any of their chicks in with the turkeys if they did hatch any.

turkeys are a bit more difficult to raise than chickens. you can expect to lose some.

Once they become lethargic, there is not much hope..

Chapter on the nutritional requirements of turkeys:
https://www.nap.edu/read/2114/chapter/5

Chapter on the nutritional requirements of chickens:
https://www.nap.edu/read/2114/chapter/4

Chapter on the nutritional requirements of chickens:
https://www.nap.edu/read/2114/chapter/7

If niacin is an issue then grind up cheero's and mix it in their feed. I have had no issues with niacin when feeding my flock chicken chick starter, even my ducklings have been fine.
Many people get away with feeding poults and ducklings chick feed, but some don't.

What symptoms are they showing before they have died? Are they showing signs of coccidiosis, such as runny poops, lethargy, refusal to eat and standing around hunched? Medicated feed for cocci is not strong enough for treating an outbreak, where you would need to use Corid in the water. Most gamebird chicks such as turkeys require 24% gamebird feed. Tractor supply has one in their Dumor line. You can usually see swollen bluish intestines from coccidiosis, if you do a necropsy right after death. Sorry for your loss.

I started feeding game grower . The death is sudden. Lethaargh hunched over. I couldn't find anything where I live to give them so the only feed I could find was chick medicated feed , I asked my vet and he didn't have anything to give them

Back
Top Bottom