Can turkeys live with chickens?

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
Not actually in the same pen, but in the same area? Do they always get black head if not medicated?
I know hardly anything about them, but was wondering about keeping them for meat. What actually is black head?

Blackhead gets in the ground from chickens and other birds, lasts for years. It's not in all areas , your extension service may know if it's a problem.
I never had blackhead. I do put red c pepper in there feed, which may help.... Makes yolks orange for sure lol

Post in thread 'Hope This Saves A Turkey From Blackhead' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hope-this-saves-a-turkey-from-blackhead.134230/post-1638502
Thank you, thats interesting.
I'm not quite sure who do ask about it here, (Australia) but I can try to find out. I'm not convinced about keeping them yet, its more of a family member who is keen.

Thank you, that's interesting.
I'm not quite sure who do ask about it here, (Australia) but I can try to find out. I'm not convinced about keeping them yet, its more of a family member who is keen.
Check with local feed stores. They should know who is raising turkeys and might be able to put you in touch with them. You can also try checking with local veterinarians.

There are other reasons than blackhead that can make raising turkeys with chickens problematic for the chickens.

There are other reasons than blackhead that can make raising turkeys with chickens problematic for the chickens.
What kind of reasons? I wasn't thinking of actually keeping them together, just very much in the same area. (e.g. I've got two big fenced areas, and I might swap chickens and turkeys between them)

What kind of reasons? I wasn't thinking of actually keeping them together, just very much in the same area. (e.g. I've got two big fenced areas, and I might swap chickens and turkeys between them)
Too many people brood them together causing the turkeys to lose the ability to understand that there is a difference between chickens and turkeys. With the huge size difference as adults, the turkeys can do a lot of harm to the chickens when they treat the chickens as if they are turkeys.

Couple that with turkeys can get fixated on something and become relentless until they have accomplished the task they have chosen. If the task is to kill a certain chicken, they will get the job done.

My chickens and turkeys roam around together. They sleep in separate coops, but have access to the same 4 acres all day long. No problems here with them pasturing together. Plus it is funny watching my rooster pick fights with 20lb Toms!😆 They never really come to blows but will pose and fake each other out for 5-10min at at time! I don't know much about Blackhead but none here in my pasture in VT.

Too many people brood them together causing the turkeys to lose the ability to understand that there is a difference between chickens and turkeys. With the huge size difference as adults, the turkeys can do a lot of harm to the chickens when they treat the chickens as if they are turkeys.

Couple that with turkeys can get fixated on something and become relentless until they have accomplished the task they have chosen. If the task is to kill a certain chicken, they will get the job done.
I see. And one of my favorite hens does fly over fences and I wouldn't want anything to happen to her. Hmmm..... I'll keep thinking about it.

My chickens and turkeys roam around together. They sleep in separate coops, but have access to the same 4 acres all day long. No problems here with them pasturing together. Plus it is funny watching my rooster pick fights with 20lb Toms!😆 They never really come to blows but will pose and fake each other out for 5-10min at at time! I don't know much about Blackhead but none here in my pasture in VT.
It sounds like it can certainly be done, but I'm not sure I want to risk it.
Were your turkeys raised with chickens, or introduced later?

I was thinking of getting turkeys to raise for meat birds. I have Alpha Gal Syndrome which makes me deathly allergic to all mammals. I’ve almost died from smelling bacon cooking! So I got chickens to raise for eggs. I’m thinking of raising a few turkeys for our freezer. How far away from my chickens do turkeys need to be kept? Can they share a pasture for free roaming? We have 50 acres.

Back
Top Bottom