Can turkeys spread diseases to chickens?

cochins1088

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Southern Minnesota
I ended up bringing home a young white broad breasted turkey. I babysit some kids that live on a big turkey farm and their father said I could take one home if I wanted. I walked into one of the large buildings packed with young turkeys and the stench of ammonia was horrible. I picked a little girl sitting in the corner and brought her home. She was missing a lot of feathers and the ones she had were matted with poop. She's looking a lot better after a long bath and blow dry. She's a very sweet and curious bird, so I really hope that it works out. I understand that she was bred to be butchered and I can't expect her to live a long life, but I will make the life she has good.

Now here's the thing. The only place I can put her is in the chicken coop. I understand that chickens can give turkeys blackhead, but I know many people in our area that keep chickens and turkeys together successfully so I do not believe that blackhead is a problem in our area.

When I brought her out to the garage, she sneezed. Now I'm wondering if there are any diseases that she could pass on to my beautiful chickens as I don't want to put my chickens at risk.

I think that most poultry can spread disease to one another! Between my chickens and chickens only, chicken bronchitis spread like wild fire, and to cure and kill it! We sanitized the house everyday, and gave them drops in there eyes 6 times a day for 30 or so chickens! It was crazy!

I think that most poultry can spread disease to one another! Between my chickens and chickens only, chicken bronchitis spread like wild fire, and to cure and kill it! We sanitized the house everyday, and gave them drops in there eyes 6 times a day for 30 or so chickens! It was crazy!
Yikes... How long do I need to quarantine her? and what types of diseases can they hide and possibly pass on to my chickens?

Im not sure between turkeys and chickens, as I've never had turkeys before, but I took a few of my chickens to the vet right away when I noticed them getting sick! I think you should take her and one of you "sick" chickens to the vet if you can!

Im not sure between turkeys and chickens, as I've never had turkeys before, but I took a few of my chickens to the vet right away when I noticed them getting sick! I think you should take her and one of you "sick" chickens to the vet if you can!

I don't have any sick chickens currently. My turkey is not with them yet. I just wanted to know if there were any specific diseases that I need to watch for.

Thanks for trying to help.

Thanks! I thought I'd share a picture of her after her bath. I feel so bad for her, but at least she can live a good life from here on out.

Last edited:
I'm glad someone has brought it up i have been raising chickens ,goats, rabbits, turkeys, pheasants , quail , together .......... and NEVER had problems with them together i have heard it for years that they can be together because if sickness I'm 18 and i have been raising critters since i was 7 and i aint seen nothing to change what i have seen

I'm glad someone has brought it up i have been raising chickens ,goats, rabbits, turkeys, pheasants , quail , together .......... and NEVER had problems with them together i have heard it for years that they can be together because if sickness I'm 18 and i have been raising critters since i was 7 and i aint seen nothing to change what i have seen

That's great to hear! Can rabbits really live with chickens? I would love to put ours out in the coop where they can have more room.

I guess I was just worried since this turkey came from such horrible conditions.

Back
Top Bottom