Can two hens be left to hatch together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chuckzoo, Oct 19, 2011.

1. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    One hen is a seabright that is sitting on two "normal" size eggs (buff ophington). The other is a black hen that is sitting on 3 buff eggs. The two hens grew up together. All eggs were placed under them at the same time so the chicks should all hatch (hopefully) on the same day.

Is is OK to leave them together to raise their chicks?

2. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    are they on the same nest?

I have seen broody hens co-incubating/hatching on the same nest but if they are separate I don't know. Someone here will though!

3. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have a Silkie and a Cochin bantam that actually prefer to go broody and hatch together. When one goes, so does tthe other. So I put them in the crate together. They will both hatch anything, quail, chicks, whatever. The Silkie, Mama usually ends up stealing all the eggs and babies, but the Cochin, Aunt Lou, is happy to just be in there. Mama likes the company, as they grooom each other and buk buk to each other, but Mama wants everyone to know SHE is the priimary caregver, and Aunt Lou, is, well, the Aunt..

This is Mama (tan) and Aunt Lou in their broody box with their last batch of quail chicks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/59865_2011-08-17_17-24-06_687.jpg

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    It depends on the hens, some will be fine with it, others might not. I had two silkies hatch out eggs at the same time and the mothers were so protective of their babies that they killed each others.

5. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Thanks guys for the responses.

Yes, that is what I am afraid of, that they will kill each others chicks! I really don't want to risk that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by