CAN U CRACK A CHICK OUT OF ITS EGG?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Littlecimarron18, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    ok sooo at least 2 days ago ago i could hear peeping, yesterday the pecking on the inside of the egg stopped..... I AM WORRIED!!!
    i just got home from school and nothing happening..
    should i see if its gonna hatch?
    alll the others already did..

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    What day are you on?? Has any of them pipped the shell yet??

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it's past day 22, and has not pipped, you can carefully go into the air cell to see if it is still alive. Before poking into the egg though, candle to make sure the chick has not entered the air cell. If you could hear peeping, it is probably in the aircell, and maybe didn't have the energy or something was wrong with the chick which is why it didn't hatch. The following link has info on intervention.

I say even if the chick is dead, it would be useful to open the egg to see what went wrong. Good luck.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9316

4. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    sooo..... i cracked it open and... sadly it was dead.. The air sack was punctured but it seemed to not have much space at all...

Is it a problem with the breeding..
    the other one like it hatched funny too....

5. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I "delivered" a chick just like the one you're describing just last Tuesday. The egg was small and the chick was just too big to move. The experts are right--DO NOT HATCH SMALL EGGS. I won't set them again. My chick is alive and well and absolutely beautiful. I'm praying that she is a she... sorry about your chick.

6. rjv_piper

rjv_piper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Utah
    I've learned a rule of thumb about chicks needing help out of a shell.

If it is an emergency, and the chick needs help, you can go ahead, and peel off the shell carefully. If the chick bleeds, stop immediately, and leave it alone. If it seems okay, help it out the rest of the way, leaving about half the shell on it loosely so it can get out on it's own without too much effort. If it bleeds, it could die, but it most likely would've died anyway. ONLY USE THIS IF YOU ARE SURE IT NEEDS HELP, AND KNOW THE RISKS.

7. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    i agree with rjv-piper. i have learned from experience too. sometimes the membrane dries on the chick before they can peck free. sorry for your loss:(

8. Rebe

Rebe Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    I am hatching chicks, I received in the mail. It is 22 days now and one chick is peeping inside the egg, but is not pecking to get out! It has been about 8 hours now, and no tapping to get out, but is still peeping! I am worried, don't want to lose these expensive chicks! Any information? The humidity is fine and the temp!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by