Can u tell me what the grey duck is????

I think he's a Rouen also after googling them. I've never heard about then before! Thank goodness for this site! :) I sorta hope he is a he! I thought before that he was a she. But today his head is greenish! I just don't want him to hurt my chickens. Should I know by curled feathers if my Pekin and Indian runner are boys by now? If so they are girls! And IF my Rouen is a boy will it be ok if he mates with the other type of ducks? Wonder what babies would look like??? I'd only want to incubate once, the rest we will eat or give away I guess! :)

My Cayuga male didn't get his sex feather (curly feather) in until he was about three months. I don't know how old Rouens get theirs. The second "stripe" by the Rouen's eye could sometimes be solid, sometimes broken like a "dotted line" and sometimes just a single dash or even almost a dot. They are the sweetest and calmest breed I've ever had. Even better personalities than the Pekins I've known.

Also, if gou've heard a "quack" it's a girl. Pay attention when she's being verbal. Hens will get loud and give that typical "quack" we usually think of when we think of ducks. Males can be chatty but they are quieter and in between their baby chirping you'll hear a raspy or hoarse sort of noise. Almost as if he has a sore throat. I've been pretty accurate sexing ducks this way as early as two or three weeks. Best of luck with your baby.

Thanks! We we catch her and hold her.. She hates it and quacks.. So maybe it's a girl!?! Will girls have a green tint on the head tho? I'm so confused now! Maybe Isabelle is a girl!? :)

When they're first feathering the colors can kind of blend and muttle together. Is the green looking solid or just kind of like a tint? It's just really hard to tell until they're in. Are the other feathers(wing and body) coming in as brown or more grey?

And you shouldn't have much trouble putting a drake in with your chickens and other ducks. Just introduce them slowly. Rouens(at least the ones I've known) are usually so calm and even tempered that they really don't have trouble getting along with other animals once they're introduced. The breeds could mate.

When they're first feathering the colors can kind of blend and muttle together. Is the green looking solid or just kind of like a tint? It's just really hard to tell until they're feathers are in. To me her wings look like female...

The head is a tint. The feathers are brown. I guess I'll know for sure in a few months! :) all my chickens and ducks are together, except for my baby bantams. They all get a long well! :) I love having them! :)

Back
Top Bottom