Can unhandled ducks be 'tamed'?

Muscovy ducks are Carinosa species, all other domestic ducks are mallard ( Anas ) descended. It is possible to cross Muscovys with other species of duck, but like breeding a horse to an *** to get a mule, the resultant hybrid will be sterile. Being a tropical tree duck, Muscovys are not greasy at all, they have less fat than other ducks, and the meat is much more like fine beef in texture. They are very widely considfered the best ducks for eating. The main reason you see Pekins and not Muscovys raised for meat on a commercial scale is that the Muscovy drakes are much larger than the hens, making for a much less uniform market size, and the white ducks are easier ( and cleaner looking) to pluck. However, the great taste of Muscovy meat makes them a favorite in Europe, where there is less concern about turning out a uniform product. Muscovys are very broody and many hatcheries use them to incubate other ducks' eggs as well as turkeys and peafowl; normal incubation for domestic ducks is 28 days, but 35 for Muscovys, same as turkeys. They are great foragers too. Ours incubate and raise their own young, we don't need to handle the ducklings at all until it's time to clip wing feathers, once they are in full plumage. They start laying in spring the year after they are hatched and lay heavily from April through October. With 9 adult hens and a couple of July hatched hens from last year, we have had 16 dozen eggs to sell and to eat, so far this year. A great breed of utilitarian homestead duck.

Hm.. Do they lay an egg a day? Or more? When do they lay? And can they be trusted to keep their flight feathers?

I'd love more info about them. :3 Is there a breed page?

Marshallaharabia,

Maybe you ought to learn a little taxonomy before you try using it....Muscovies are Cairina moschata....not Carinosa species....

Climt

We keep the wings clipped, as they are strong flyers and I don't want to have to round them up in the hayfield, etc., and we've had 12 dozen eggs from the first of April to today, from 11 hens, which start laying at about 9 or 10 months, spring of the year after they were hatched.They'll stop laying in late October and start up again in the spring. Great layers, great mothers, best ducks for eating. Yes, there is a page on this site for reviews of each duck breed, just look up "Muscovy".

In Europe the cross is made to produce a meat duck, called, I've read, a "moulard", and sterile, as is the cross of a horse and an ***. I've never tasted one so I've no opinion. My Muscovy drakes show no interest at all in the Pekin hen, and the Pekin drake makes no attempt at the Muscovy hens. Each breed stays true to its own. (My observations regarding MY flock, I have no idea what bacchanalian goings-on happen in other people's flocks.)

I do know the taxonomy, and I've studied Muscovies extensively and raised them for years, so you may assume I know exactly what I'm talking about, at least where my farmyard flock is concerned.

I'm fairly certain my drake is going to be more interested in the female CHICKENS over the ducks.

He's been with them since day 1 and is pretty flock bound. Maybe if I put him in with the duck hens in their own enclosure for a month he'll straighten up. The Duck hens seem to make flirty eyes at him, though, and try to follow him around. But the 2 month old chicken pullets will try to jump up and scratch the duck hens away.

Back
Top Bottom