Can using duck water in garden kill us?

You might burn your plants with straight duck poo from the ground. However with all the water mixed with it. It aint happening
I suppose it depends how dirty you let your water get. Maybe if your plants get burned you are letting your water get too dirty.

We use our duck pond water to water the small field beyond their fence. We will eventually be putting fruit trees out there. The water has made the grass grow wonderfully, even through the winter. I don't think I will use it for the vegetable garden though but that's just personal preference.

Hi,I'm a new duck owner, I haven't been able to figure out how to post a new post on this forum, so I am "replying" to this one. I hope someone can help. I have 4 ducklings ( approx 5/6 weeks) just started them in their duck coop, our yard is about 20% steep grade, we built the run/coop/ daytime open pen at the top of our yard. Our veggie garden ( not planted yet for this year as of 4/29/14) is at the bottom of our yard ( we originally put this here because it is the most level ground ) both the coop/ run/ yard are on the same side as our garden ( because this is our access to water and a secure fence) . I'm concerned about the runoff from our duck area(aka poop) going into our garden this year, should I be worried, are there ways I can minimize contamination? as of now i have been dragging their dirty (day old) drinking / bathing water to the very bottom of our property for disposal, but I hope I don't have to do this forever, as it is a lot of extra work. Any suggestions, insight or advice will be greatly respected and appreciated ! Thanks! Meg

Thanks everyone! My bosses were the ones who were against it but they had only information from commercial businesses. I'll be using my poo water! lol
I work on a farm and my boss is appalled that I sheet mulch with duck bedding. If I sold food commercially, it would be a huge liability issue.

That said, I sheet mulch my beds through the inactive season of fall and winter and add another layer in spring when the beds have cooked down a bit. If growing a crop that is 120-180 days to harvest, it's okay to plant directly.

Either way, common sense is to wash produce thoroghly. No matter where it comes from.

You might want to look into a drip irrigation setup. That way there's no splash-back issues. Just an extra cautionary move if you would feel better doing so.

Back
Top Bottom