Can vet do anything for my dogs hips??

FLchook

Songster
12 Years
Oct 27, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Our 8 year old lab is finally showing some serious problems with his hips. We knew from the beginning that Champ would probably face problems, but he needed a home--> He was going to be dropped of in the Wal-Mart parking lot
somad.gif
. Well there are now times when he can hardly get up
sad.png
Ive had to give him some asprin a time or two just so he could get up and go out to potty.

Is there anything the vet can do? Or is surgery the only option? Champ still has so much life in him, I hate to see him struggle.

Thanks,
Shannon

is it from age or aomething else slowing him down?
if it is age they might be able to give him something for pain. if it is hip displatia (sp) they might be able to operate on him.

Julie

Has he had x-rays done to see what his problem is yet? Depending on the outcome of those there can be options available, one being surgery, or medications to help with his condition.

I had a Aussie that half of her hip ball eroded away at age 8. Surgery was suggested, and it was costly. My vet offered to try Adequin on her, it was still experimental 15 years ago. She had a series of 4 shots and was on GrandFlex(contains Glucosamie HCL for joint function and Yucca for pain relief) for the rest of her life. It took about 8 months for the Adequin to do it's job, but she appeared painfree until she passed away 8 years later.

Last edited:
My Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff) gets Glyco-Flex
00ae.png
II (120 Tablets).
He'll probably get operated soon, but in the meantime the Vet prescribed this. You can do a google search on it and get some more info.

Alternatives to surgery include:
-good weight management (thin side of normal body condition)
-Rimadyl or metacam or Deramaxx, etc. Just as in people, some drugs work better in some dogs than others. Probably want bloodwork before hand to make sure liver/kidneys are okay.
-Glucosamine/chondroiten supplement. Do some research on these, they are considered nutritional supplements by the FDA so are not tested. Some aren't worth the plastic they are packaged in. Need to use for at least 6-8 weeks to judge effect. SynoviG3 granules are my favorite.
-Acupuncture
-physical therapy

The two surgeries are:
-total hip replacement ($$$$)
-femoral head osteotomy/ostectomy ($$)

Good luck.

I'm with Raindrop on the Glucosamine/chondroiten supplements. I've given the pills to my older dogs and it does help out. Down side is that it's not inexpensive, but everytime that I stopped the pills... about 2 wks later, I'd totally notice the difference. so I bit the bullet and kept it up. I only have one older dog now and she gets two pills daily. Best to talk to your vet. I know that they usually carry them. I ended up getting a very large bottle that they had to order. It saved me some money in the long run.

ps. there are on-line places where you can get them for a slightly reduced price. With shipping/handling it's nearly the same.

Raindrop said everything I would say. My dog started having hip problems at the age of two. I have always kept her slim but well fed(high quality food). She gets Glucosamine/Chondroitin and is on Deramaxx. She is 7 1/2 yrs old now and is still enjoying life. I try to notlet her run too much but sometimes that is hard to do. Swimming is also good for the dog with hip problems. She swims sometimes and I put a heating pad on her at times. I put my matress and boxspring on the floor so she can get in bed easier. Oh there is also a wrap that is supposed to help the pain. I saw the article in Whole Dog Journal. You take a wide (2") elastic wrap ace bandage and put the half way mark on the chest- then pull back on each side of dog and wrap over top about where the last rib is then wrap around under the tummy and back up to the back and fasten. Keep on for about 10 min a day and it is supposed to help with the pain and to calm the dog down also. (a cheap pressure massage type thingy)

Our American Bulldog has hip dysplasia and takes Rimadyl AND GlycoFlex, which you can get on www.entirelypets.com . When its cold she has more problems but my bf massages her hips and thighs and she really seems to love it.
Not sure what he sleeps on but you might want to get him a memory foam dog bed (they sell them at Walmart) or just buy an egg crate for a twin bed and cut it in 1/3rds and cover with a sheet or towel. Bubbles LOVES her pillows and beds and alot of time will sit on her pillow while eating since its so high.

The glucosomine/chondroiten tabs are great. My vet and I rescued "brothers". Katrina refugees. Hers had to have bilateral hip surgery, mine went on the tabs. After a few weeks on the tabs he was able to "almost" keep up with my boxer. It was amazing the difference they made in him. You can buy a big bottle at Sam's for about $25.

Another good idea for a bed is a baby bed mattress. My older boxer slept on one for years when she was no longer able to jump on the bed.

Has he been tested for Lyme disease? One of my dogs just tested positive for lyme exposure. He has no clinical symtoms.....but that is what i was told could happen. I'm just saying this in case he has not been diagnosed yet.....i was told Lyme is becomming VERY common.

Back
Top Bottom