Can vets test chickens for cancer etc. ? Anyone have a good experience at an avian vet?

mschickiemama

Songster
11 Years
Oct 6, 2011
My chicken started out with full squishy crop so a vet gave me meds for that. Her crop got a little smaller. Then she eventually stopped eating and drinking almost a week. Now her crop is a lot smaller but still not totally empty. I think something else is going on and crop was a symptom.

I thought of euthanasia and the vet even said she would do that but not knowing what's wrong is really hard for me. But the vet never offered x-rays or anything. She said if the crop isn't totally empty and appetite hasn't come back after a week of meds then the prognosis isn't very good and I'd be wasting my money.

But what if it's something else like cancer. How can I euthanize when I don't know exactly what's wrong or if it's fixable?

Has anyone had any other experience with vets and was able to get a detailed diagnosis? My hen is old and has had many good years but I just love her ya know. I want her to stay with me forever

I am sorry to here that. I have successfully rescued even 10 year old hens from death door, but I don't do vets for chickens. Are you feeding her food and water by syringe ? It's always worth a try. How old is your hen?

I am sorry to here that. I have successfully rescued even 10 year old hens from death door, but I don't do vets for chickens. Are you feeding her food and water by syringe ? It's always worth a try. How old is your hen?
Same hen from my other post. I have done water and Nutri-Drench by syringe but she is still not interested

Back
Top Bottom