can we assess my predator risk with my doors/windows? am i paranoid?

I use little luggage locks and have the key hanging right next to the door. It doesn't take any time at all to get the door open and I sleep a lot better at night.

And that predator section scares my pants off. Beasties are persistent and will find your ONE weak spot. I know that it seems like you'll never be done getting your coop done, but it will be worth it in the end. No one wants to find their chickens turned into raccoon dinner.

And
welcome-byc.gif
from MN. You're going to like it here!

Hi, another newbie who lives in coon country and is planning a chicken tractor/ark type coop for about 6. I am quite concerned about the coons etc. and am wondering if having the wire 1" by 1" wire (not chicken) along the bottom would be better protection and if so would it be a problem for the chickens to have a wire bottomed run. It would be sitting on grass or soil but maybe that would not be good for them.???

I saw the note about having an apron of the wire but I'm not sure how flat my land is and if it was hinged couldn't a coon just flip it up?? I will go and look at the predator pages to get more info although I think I am scared enough from what I've read so far and now just need solutions.
thanks for your kind help.

Quote:
Aside from it interfering with their ability to scratch around in the turf/dirt, which is a pretty integral part of being a chicken, how are you going to MOVE the tractor if you put wire on the bottom? They pretty much need to be able to walk along with you, which requires a bottomless tractor. The only real alternative would be if you had a floored 'house' part they could be shut into for the move, but that would be kind of hard with them with all the bumping and tilting (trust me, the tractor WILL bump and tilt a lot, even on a 'smooth' lawn).

So, I wouldn't do it except under exceptional circumstances.

I saw the note about having an apron of the wire but I'm not sure how flat my land is and if it was hinged couldn't a coon just flip it up??

That is where tentpegs or bricks or suchlike come in
smile.png
The idea is not so much to prevent a predator from being *able* to flip it up, as to keep him from discovering that fact accidentally. The reason aprons work is that very, very few digging predators (major exception: some especially experienced and astute foxes) have the sense to back up away from the bottom of the fence to dig. They'll try digging *at* the bottom of the fence, and if it doesn't work, they go elsewhere. So all you need to prevent is something inadvertantly finding out the secret, you know?

Honestly, in a tractor I think about 45% of your predatorproofing comes from having strongly attached heavy-gauge small-mesh wire on the pen part; and 45% comes from locking them into a secure 'house' portion at night; and only a small amount of predatorproofness relates to other aspects.

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat​

I use those latches that have a catch on them, you have to pull the catch back then lift the latch, I get them at home depot. It is a hook and eye style.

"the only real alternative would be if you had a floored 'house' part they could be shut into for the move, but that would be kind of hard with them with all the bumping and tilting (trust me, the tractor WILL bump and tilt a lot, even on a 'smooth' lawn)."

Thanks patandchickens yes, that is what I was planning but I'm glad that you have pointed out how bad that could be. And that makes sense about the tent pegs. Really glad we don't have foxes although coons and eagles and otters and well, I'm sure there are more predators I've never noticed...will be plenty!

Thanks so much you all are so kind and helpful!!!
bow.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom