Cracks Around Coop Door: Predator Proof Enough?

amandyrae

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 10, 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
I just finished building a 3-sided, open air coop/run combo for my first chickens (they're still inside in the brooder for now). I decided this style of coop would be best here in hot and humid North Carolina, since our winters are so mild but our summers are miserable. I've been all over this forum as I've built my coop and run to make sure I follow everyone's recommendations on how to make the whole enclosure as predator proof as possible. Our backyard is a forest. I've seen foxes, raccoons, snakes, and possums. I know that coyotes are native to the area, and I've read that mink are too (I'm not sure if that's true, still people's mink attack stories on the forum about them fitting through 1/4" cracks really freaked me out).

I've covered every opening with 1/2" hardware cloth attached with screws and washers, and have a hardware cloth bib around the bottom of the coop/run to deter digging predators.

My last worry is the cracks around the coop door. Here's what the door looks like. The top and bottom latches are swivel hasp style latches, and the center is a gate latch which will be secured with a padlock. In the right photo below you can see the crack at the top right of the door along the top and right edge of the door.

Here's a closeup of the crack at the top right of the door. When I pull on the latched door it opens up to about an inch wide.

Here's the crack at the top of the door. Likewise, when I pull on the latched door the crack opens up to about an inch wide.

There's also about 1/4" crack at the bottom of the door (not pictured).

So, are these cracks something I need to worry about? I need the whole run to be secure from predators, since it's an open air coop and run and the chickens won't be walled off in there with a pop door to protect them.

If the cracks are a problem, do you guys have any ideas for sealing them? I thought about cutting strips of hardware cloth and screwing them to the back of the door so they fill the cracks, although having those sharp edges all along the edge of the door seems like a bad idea. Would weather stripping work? We did install a turnbuckle on the back of the door to keep it from sagging, but it only helped so much.

I'd love to hear your ideas, or if I'm being too paranoid I'd love to hear that too! :)

Could you add 1x3 strips to the outside of the door so that they overlap the door frame when closed? I would not worry too much about the hinge side since the hinges do have a little strength to them at the top and the bottom of the door.
It would also make it harder for a larger predator to push the door inward. ( stupid raccoons and such)

You could also add a secondary hook up high to help with the opening up when pulled on.

Last edited:
Could you add 1x3 strips to the outside of the door so that they overlap the door frame when closed? I would not worry too much about the hinge side since the hinges do have a little strength to them at the top and the bottom of the door.
It would also make it harder for a larger predator to push the door inward. ( stupid raccoons and such)

You could also add a secondary hook up high to help with the opening up when pulled on.

Exactly. You could trim the door up depending on which way it opens.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll see if I can figure out a way to add some wood trim to the inside that will block the cracks and make the door opening smaller from the back. Wood will definitely work better than hardware cloth, duh why didn't I think of that! ;)

I'm wishing now that I had made the door open in instead of out. If it opened in I could just add trim to the outside (like 21hens-incharge suggested) to completely cover the cracks which would prevent predators from pulling the door open. Even with more trim on the inside blocking the cracks, the door can be pulled out to make a gap...

Oh, or maybe I could just screw a thin trim piece to the front top and right sides of the door itself to conceal the cracks from the outside and reinstall the latches. It wouldn't look as neat, but that might block the cracks better from prying predator paws.

Thank you again!

Last edited:
OH you misunderstood what I posted. I meant to add the wood directly to the door itself. I did see that it opens out and that is what the wood on the door would help with.
It would still look good too. IMO

Back
Top Bottom