Can we feed greens that have been sprayed with tobacco to chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 3ChordFarm, Feb 17, 2018.

1. 3ChordFarm

3ChordFarm Hatching

Feb 17, 2018
    We have a greenhouse that was over-run with white flies, aphids, and black flies. A friend suggested spraying everything with a "tea" made from tobacco. We tried it and it didn't work. Now, We've pulled everything out of the greenhouse and it's killing us to just throw it all away, when we have 13 hungry chickens. But, we don't want to poison the chickens either or give them something toxic. I know tobacco leaves have historically been used to keep mites out of coops and nests. But, I assume the chickens weren't eating the leaves. Would the greens be safe to feed to our flock, with two applications of tobacco spray? And, if we soaked the greens in water and rinsed it well, would the answer be different? We appreciate any input!! Thank you!

2. JerryR708

JerryR708 Songster

I heard tobacco is poisonous for chickens. If you smoke, your hands should be washed before handling chickens food. Small amounts of tobacco can make them sick.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I wouldn't chance it. Tobacco is greasy and won't rinse off well. Garbage!
    Mary

IdyllwildAcres likes this.
  4. AKCharle

AKCharle Chirping

May 29, 2014
    I wouldn't use anything sprayed with tobacco anywhere except the burn pile. Unless you grew the tobacco yourself even the compost pile would be very iffy. Commercial tobacco is so laced with carcinogens that unless you are a chemist and know the breakdown requirements for each carcinogen you could be poisoning your compost pile. Safer to just not use commercial tobacco anywhere. Don't feed the killers. "Cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, including 43 known cancer-causing (carcinogenic) compounds and 400 other toxins. These include nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic, and DDT. Nicotine is highly addictive."

5. RonP

RonP Crowing

Nicotine is poisonous to many animals and insects...
    That said, I would't chance it...

6. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Crowing

May 20, 2015
    I wouldn't risk it. Compost it.

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    No, don't put in in the compost, or anywhere outside. It should go in the garbage.
    Mary

8. Chickassan

Chickassan Crossing the Road

Agreed, nicotine is very poisonous in it's concentrated form even before it is made into anything or has had additives introduced. Shame I know but toss it in the bin, and no more tobacco teas it can easily be absorbed into your skin as well and tobacco poisoning makes being drunk seem like a pleasant dream.:)

9. Chickassan

Chickassan Crossing the Road

Oh, rosemary oil diluted in warm water to kill your greenhouse bugs in the future. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: