Can we stop Cocci victim #2?

It would probably be a good idea to scramble an egg for her and/or other high protein treats to keep her nutritionally healing as well.

If it's cocci, I can't see why Tetracycline would work, because cocci is a protozoa, not a bacteria. Perhaps there was some other infection going on.

Mary

Comments on medications (anti-biotics and dewormers): If the medication is not working with appropriate doses and appropriate times- increasing the dose or giving it for longer is unlikely to be helpful- and has the distinct possibility of being harmful. If the medication you picked did not work when used appropriately- you need to back up and rethink the problem.

How about getting a fecal check done at a vet to see if there even are lots of coccidia? If there are large numbers (small numbers can be normal), then you can try a different anti-coccidial drug like amprolium. Use as directed, as this one is more likely to cause problems if overdosed. If there are no coccidia or just a few- this is probably not the problem. Acute coccidia of species can cause death before they even get diarrhea, but if this has been going on for more than 3 weeks- they should be immune by now, as they survived the initial exposure.

Are all of the poops runny/tan from the bird, or just occasionally? If just occasionally- have you heard of cecal poop?

Quote:

Well, after 2 days of administering tetracycline, it seems that my hen is improving, so I may lay off on the 3rd day doses (today).

Honestly I dont know if it was Cocci, my dealer swore up and down thats what it was when I initially contacted him about my 1st sick brid, who passed away while under Sulmet treatments. Good point if the drug isn't working, it probably wasn't the problem.

Basically I didn't notice anything in the 1st bird when she started sittng around; it wasn't until she was super wobbly even when sitting when I noticed the runnt green poop and the mess in the rear, with the butt that looked all inflamed and gasping.

The Sulmet never seemed to improve anything, and so its probable that we had a bacterial infection, and not a protozoa...

There is a local avian vet, but he's out of town.

Whats a cecal poop?

Last edited:
cecal poop is normal, look up some photos- it happens a few times a day.

If you start an antibiotic, do not stop until the recommended period is over- 2 days is not long enough for much of anything. stopping just as the animal is improving, is likely when the bacteria is being killed off- but if you stop too soon- you are promoting bacterial resistance & allowing a relapse.

Back
Top Bottom