Can we talk about 55 Flowery Hens, Cream Legbars, and also sex links?

CountryFried

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
SE AL
(Apologies for the length!)

First, my 55s are driving me insane. I bought a flock of year-old chickens May 20th, five GFF 55 Flowery Hen hens and one roo, and 3 barred and 2 pencil Rocks. They were locked in the coop (the coop is more like a combo run/coop, 192 s ft) until May 31st with a nesting box made from a Rubbermaid bin. I averaged 2-3 eggs a day from the 55s while they were locked up. From June 1 to June 14, on 10 days, I got 4 eggs from the 55s, 3 days I got 1 egg, and one day I got 5 eggs. The 5 egg day followed a 1 egg day, so it's possible some were laid after I put them to bed on the 1 egg day. June 15, I got ZERO eggs from the 55s and I quit tracking eggs. But, in the next couple of weeks, I would get 1 egg from the 55s sporadically. Never more than 1. Late June, early July, my husband found a nest of 17 eggs at our property line. Talked to a friend, she suggested locking them up again for two weeks, so they would learn to lay in the coop. So, we did, I think for 12 days, and I built proper nest boxes the first day for the coop. During that time, my husband found another nest by our shed with 15 or so eggs, put some of those in the incubator, and they maybe laid 2 eggs a day, but they did lay in the nest boxes. After the 12 days, we let them free range again, and once again, the eggs dropped to nothing, I'd get a 55 egg maybe every other day, maybe. Then one started laying on my back porch where I keep the hay. Then two, then 3. That went on for a few weeks, didn't mind them laying on the porch, at least we could find them there LOL. Ten days ago, we rearranged our pens and moved that flock to our barn, locked them up for a week so they would learn where they lived now. They made little nest in the sand in the barn, once in a while they would lay in the nest boxes, mostly in the sand, sometimes just randomly on the floor, and not in any sort of nest they made. Let them out after 7 days, bedtime came and they tried to go back to the old coop, we had to search the yard for them after dark. So, they have been locked up again for about a week now. My rock eggs are always in the nest box, sometimes I'll get one 55 egg in there, but mostly they make a spot in the sand. TODAY, we had four 55 eggs in the box...that's the first day I've had more than 3 eggs since June 14th. And they were ALL in the nest boxes. Whew, sorry for the long story, here's the question! I am letting them out of the coop tomorrow, we're expecting extreme heat and there just isn't enough airflow in the coop to make them stay in there even with the fans. We already anticipate we'll be on a chicken hunt after dark, and that the 55s won't go back to the coop to lay.

IS THIS A THING WITH THIS BREED????? (Not laying in nest boxes or in the coop/hiding eggs.)

I saw @paintedChix said her 55s didn't lay until they were ELEVEN months old? Is that also a thing with this breed???? What has others' experience been with when 55 pullets start laying? I chose the breed based on the info on the GFF site, and before I hatch any more babies, I need to know if I'm barking up the wrong tree with this breed and should concentrate on others, because my incubator space is at a premium and I don't want to hatch birds that take a year to start laying.

Which leads me to the question...what age do Cream Legbar start laying? (Also from GFF) I don't want to hatch a lot of those if they take forever to start laying, either LOL.

LAST question...sex links! This article says, "Black sex links are created by breeding a barred hen to a non barred rooster." Sooooo.....if I hatch eggs from my Barred Rock, fertilized by my 55 Flowery Hen roo....will the chicks be sex-links?

(Apologies for the length!)

First, my 55s are driving me insane. I bought a flock of year-old chickens May 20th, five GFF 55 Flowery Hen hens and one roo, and 3 barred and 2 pencil Rocks. They were locked in the coop (the coop is more like a combo run/coop, 192 s ft) until May 31st with a nesting box made from a Rubbermaid bin. I averaged 2-3 eggs a day from the 55s while they were locked up. From June 1 to June 14, on 10 days, I got 4 eggs from the 55s, 3 days I got 1 egg, and one day I got 5 eggs. The 5 egg day followed a 1 egg day, so it's possible some were laid after I put them to bed on the 1 egg day. June 15, I got ZERO eggs from the 55s and I quit tracking eggs. But, in the next couple of weeks, I would get 1 egg from the 55s sporadically. Never more than 1. Late June, early July, my husband found a nest of 17 eggs at our property line. Talked to a friend, she suggested locking them up again for two weeks, so they would learn to lay in the coop. So, we did, I think for 12 days, and I built proper nest boxes the first day for the coop. During that time, my husband found another nest by our shed with 15 or so eggs, put some of those in the incubator, and they maybe laid 2 eggs a day, but they did lay in the nest boxes. After the 12 days, we let them free range again, and once again, the eggs dropped to nothing, I'd get a 55 egg maybe every other day, maybe. Then one started laying on my back porch where I keep the hay. Then two, then 3. That went on for a few weeks, didn't mind them laying on the porch, at least we could find them there LOL. Ten days ago, we rearranged our pens and moved that flock to our barn, locked them up for a week so they would learn where they lived now. They made little nest in the sand in the barn, once in a while they would lay in the nest boxes, mostly in the sand, sometimes just randomly on the floor, and not in any sort of nest they made. Let them out after 7 days, bedtime came and they tried to go back to the old coop, we had to search the yard for them after dark. So, they have been locked up again for about a week now. My rock eggs are always in the nest box, sometimes I'll get one 55 egg in there, but mostly they make a spot in the sand. TODAY, we had four 55 eggs in the box...that's the first day I've had more than 3 eggs since June 14th. And they were ALL in the nest boxes. Whew, sorry for the long story, here's the question! I am letting them out of the coop tomorrow, we're expecting extreme heat and there just isn't enough airflow in the coop to make them stay in there even with the fans. We already anticipate we'll be on a chicken hunt after dark, and that the 55s won't go back to the coop to lay.

IS THIS A THING WITH THIS BREED????? (Not laying in nest boxes or in the coop/hiding eggs.)

I saw @paintedChix said her 55s didn't lay until they were ELEVEN months old? Is that also a thing with this breed???? What has others' experience been with when 55 pullets start laying? I chose the breed based on the info on the GFF site, and before I hatch any more babies, I need to know if I'm barking up the wrong tree with this breed and should concentrate on others, because my incubator space is at a premium and I don't want to hatch birds that take a year to start laying.

Which leads me to the question...what age do Cream Legbar start laying? (Also from GFF) I don't want to hatch a lot of those if they take forever to start laying, either LOL.

LAST question...sex links! This article says, "Black sex links are created by breeding a barred hen to a non barred rooster." Sooooo.....if I hatch eggs from my Barred Rock, fertilized by my 55 Flowery Hen roo....will the chicks be sex-links?
My cream legbar laid her first egg at 21 weeks but it was shell-less. And she laid her first real egg with a beautiful light blue shell at 22 weeks. Love this breed!!

My cream legbar laid her first egg at 21 weeks but it was shell-less. And she laid her first real egg with a beautiful light blue shell at 22 weeks. Love this breed!!

Thank you! I think my 55s are on the way to the crockpot. My CL is my most reliably laying chicken. 55s are still making us crazy, and hubby is fed up with daily egg hunts. Thank goodness our ducks are laying because I’m feeding 10 hens and a roo and lucky to find one egg in the nest box every day. I will set more CL eggs!

AWW :barnie you're killing me with the crockpot talk.
I've got a couple 55s and yes they're a pita.
Mine are penned but never lay in the box. They are very poor about production and the eggs aren't near as large as GFFs made them out to be.
Worse yet mine just lay randomly on the ground and then soon break/eat them.
All in all I still enjoy them and hate to hear you're gonna be eating yours.
Wish shipping adult birds was cheaper I'd make you an offer.

AWW :barnie you're killing me with the crockpot talk.
I've got a couple 55s and yes they're a pita.
Mine are penned but never lay in the box. They are very poor about production and the eggs aren't near as large as GFFs made them out to be.
Worse yet mine just lay randomly on the ground and then soon break/eat them.
All in all I still enjoy them and hate to hear you're gonna be eating yours.
Wish shipping adult birds was cheaper I'd make you an offer.

I actually sold them Friday . I was sooooo DONE with their crap. I have some of their babies that are about three months old now. Time will tell whether we keep them. (I was very upfront about the issues with them, and sold them for a steal.)

I actually sold them Friday . I was sooooo DONE with their crap. I have some of their babies that are about three months old now. Time will tell whether we keep them. (I was very upfront about the issues with them, and sold them for a steal.)

I know this is an older post, but FWIW my 55 (named "Slak," ironically) is by far my best producer. She once laid for two weeks straight, and has given me 22 eggs a month, every month (not even kidding), and she was my first pullet from this cohort to start laying. Her eggs range from X-Large to Jumbo, and they're always spotless and in the nest box. I have no idea why you're having such a hard time with yours! She's from an egg I hatched from Papa's Poultry.

Thank you! I think my 55s are on the way to the crockpot. My CL is my most reliably laying chicken. 55s are still making us crazy, and hubby is fed up with daily egg hunts. Thank goodness our ducks are laying because I’m feeding 10 hens and a roo and lucky to find one egg in the nest box every day. I will set more CL eggs!

And, contrary to you, my Cream Legbar still hasn't started laying at all. She's like 39 weeks old!!

Aww how is your CL’s personality?! Is she super sweet?

She is! Despite being a lazy fluff butt, she's my favourite. None of my flock are exactly lap chickens, but she will always come up and say hello, eats out of my hand, tolerates being handled very well, and seems very curious about whatever I'm doing. She seems a bit smarter than the rest . . . kind of like she's always watching and paying attention. Will just hang out with me if I'm outside.

Back
Top Bottom