Can week old chicks have worms and grass??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mmtillman, Apr 3, 2009.

1. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Or is it too soon??
    Today, I let my two grandchildren (12 and 7 years )
    sit by the brooder to play with and hold the chicks...one of them went to the compost pile , dug up some worms, and were feeding the chicks little pieces of worms?
    Chicks arrived on TUE...will this hurt them ? ...
    Grandkids were gonna pull up some fresh green grass as well, to feed them.... but I suggested they should wait till I find out if it is ok?? Will supervise the little ones around the chicks , from now on...bless their hearts...LOL

2. JupiterFarmer

JupiterFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Palm Beach County
    I doubt that it'd be too bad for them since that's likely what they would've eventually got into with mom. But they would need grit to grind up that stuff.

But they might like the grass and worms more than there starter. Had some try to stop eating their when I started giving them treats.

3. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    They will definitely need some chick grit ASAP. They need grit to digest anything solid other than their starter food. Once they have been on grit for a few days it is OK to give them a small amount of treats once a day or once every couple of days. Do it too often and they might quit the starter that they really need to stay healthy.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I wouldn't recommend it. But if you do be sure to give them some chick grit

5. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i would say it's okay as long as they get some grit. they'll love you for it! also, be sure it is finely chopped. i've always given my chicks treats pretty early with no problems at all!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  6. I don't recommend nothing except starter for the first few weeks , then if you want to , just be sure to sprinkle some grit over the top of their feed to aid in digestion.

I really don't think it would hurt though as long as they have the grit but i have never feed them anything but starter that young.

Hope that helps some.

Fay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by